Topic

Benton MacKaye thru

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Benton MacKaye thru

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Patrick S

@xpatrickxad

Locale: Upper East TN

So Wednesday I quit my job and then Thursday morning when I was eating breakfast part of me said "Patrick, go do the BMT." So Friday I had a ride to GA lined up. I had to order the TI 777 map because I didn't already own it and my local outfitter didn't have it, but I'm getting it Wednesday and leaving this coming Friday.

Right now my plan is to get a mail drop at Hwy 60 at the Webb Brothers Store and another at the Fontana Village PO. I still have to call to make sure they're accepting mail drops (never hurts to check) and call for prices for a shuttle and stay at the hostel in Dahlonega.

I figured I'd check here to see if anyone had any random info they could give me such as "don't camp at _____" or "_____ is a great source for water." Or really any suggestions or local knowledge as I've only hiked the brief parts that share path with the AT.

I'm going to get my gear list together and post it in a few days. I'll probably average 25 mile days. I'm also adding an extra day or day and a half and taking the AT to finish my hike in Hot Springs because I love that town and it will be really easy for me to get a ride home from there.

a b

@ice-axe

I just finished my A.T. thru hike. Fontana village has a pretty good hiker resupply store right next to the P.O. The owners have been upgrading their stock and they had; Tuna packets, Knorr sides, Peanut butter, quick oats, fritos, and even some freeze dried food (yuk!)
    This was back in March for me and the store had just opened up for the season.
    By the way, next door is an Icecream shop!
    Also the Pit Stop store just .3 miles down the road from the P.O. had gatorade packets, real cheese, poptarts, cliff bars, tortillas, salami, and a local Brew called Dragon Tail Ale that had 8% alcohol.
    Anyhow, just saying you could resupply there if you are not too picky and it would avoid the p.O. hours and save the shipping.
    Here is the Fontana Village porch in front of the store:Fontana Village Store

Patrick S

@xpatrickxad

Locale: Upper East TN

Hey, Matt, thanks for the tip. I did the AT in '09 and when I passed through Fontana Village in March everything was closed up. Its good to know they're opening sooner now. I'm actually really controlling when it comes to my diet right now so that's the only reason why I'm doing mail drops. I was less picky when I did the AT and didn't have problems with the occasional gas station resupply, but these days I'm eating a lot healthier. This will be the first time I've ever used mail drops on a hike and it will be interesting to see how I enjoy trying to time things to line up with the hours and avoid Sundays.

And don't even mention ice cream. I'm avoiding all sucrose now and even though the dairy in ice cream always upset my stomach I lived off Ben and Jerry's on the AT. Plus now that its summer I'm going through crazy B&J's cravings.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools