Topic

Help me pick an UL pack.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Help me pick an UL pack.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    jeff mchenry
    Spectator

@jeffm22

19 DAYS SOBO JMT SOLO IN LATE AUGUST.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Jeff,

Measure the volume of your gear.

Take all of your gear that you plan to carry in your pack and put it into a cardboard box large enough to hold it all. Remember to include your "loaded" food bag.

Put it in the box neatly leaving as few "voids" as possible.

Measure the length and width of the box and the depth of the gear in the box. Multiply those three measurements, L x W x D.

Determine what sleeping pad you will use and how you'd like to carry it. Do the same measurements and math on your pad without the box. L x W x Thickness of the pad. Add this result to the one you got from the "box" and you'll have your approximate pack volume needed.

If you use a hydration reservoir fill it and measure it in the same manner since it will be in your pack somewhere. Add it to the sum of the totals from above.

Add about 10 to 20 percent more volume, your call, for the extension collar to hold any extra gear. Now you have an approximate size of the pack that you need.

Pockets on the outside of the pack are "bonus" storage space for water bottles, shelters, rain gear and any other gear you want readily accessible. Don't include the pockets in the sizing of the main bag volume of the pack or you may wind up with a pack that is too small for your needs.

I hope this helps. Happy pack hunting!

Party On,

Newton

Mark Hudson
    BPL Member

@vesteroid

Locale: Eastern Sierras

Newt is dead on but add one thing. Regardless of the total volume your bear can needs to fit in there. Look at the actual measurements of the main compartment and how you want to carry your bear can and make sure it fits.

I have found very few packs that let a bear can go horizontally.

A leightweit option I might consider is the swift. If you are doing a longer carry or have more gear then the starlite or circuit may be an option.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools