Topic

binding using grosgrain

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear binding using grosgrain

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    rick mccoll

@rgmccoll

Locale: East Tennessee

I have a Kenmore sewing machine from the early 70's, so far so good. Does anyone know of a presser foot that will automatically fold 7/8 to 1"; gg on material like silnylon?

I have tried sewing one side then folding and sewing the other side. It works but is time consuming and sometimes not so pretty.

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Just google search for a binding presser foot. Should work. Good luck!

David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Locale: mid-west

I iron the edging in half and then sew it in one pass. works great

Dave

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

i have had zero fortune with the fold'er feet with silnylon. i don't think it will work, the material has insufficient body for the effect to function.
    what Does work is to practice with turning up the thread tension until things pucker, then backing off. using gutterman thread, the thinner of the two common varieties, and starting with a 5/8" seam allowance.
    glue the good edges together with a bit of rubber cement and run your 5/8 seam. then iron it back on itself and run another seam 5/16" in from that. this gives a nice tight seam, and it looks ok.
    do not be a'feared of bobbin tension adjustments. look it up on utube.
    use contrasting color threads so you can see what the tension is doing.

hope that helps..

cheers,
    v.

Randy Smith

@papasmurf

Locale: Dream Hammock

I used to fold and iron all my grosgrain edging. Then sclittlefield turned me on to this attachment.
    http://www.cutexsewingsupplies.com/servlet/the-1830/PLAIN-BRAID-TAPE-SEWING/Detail
    Took me a while to get the hang of it, but it does a wonderful job.

Here's a Silnylon tarp I edged with 1" grosgrain. Turned out pretty good.
    silnylon tarp with grosgrain edging

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

I find grosgrain doesn't have enough stretch for silnylon and that bias binding tape works better. Its hard to find in small quantities but well worth the search.. Either way I would look for a folder since it makes short work of the edging tape. Best of Luck..

rick mccoll

@rgmccoll

I went to the web site and they seem to imply the binder you suggested is for industrial machines. Is that what you use? My thread plate has holes drilled and tapped to the right of the foot. If it were not Sat I would call them.

Even so, I must look for some bias tape as Lawson suggested. I anticipate doing this more than once. So far I have a son and two grand children who want hammock gear (complete sets).

I have a built in market.

Thanks for the replies. There is so much collective experience and wisdom here it is mind boggling.

Randy Smith

@papasmurf

I use an old Singer 192k Spartan. It also has the 2 holes on the right side, like yours. I use the attachment with a regular width foot. I've found that if I position the Binder Attachment so that it's right up against the right side and front of the foot, the grosgrain feeds consistently through the attachment and does a great job.

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

I wish I had a commercial machine to use the ribbon binding attachment. I don't so I just fold it between my fingers and sew I am pretty good at this method now I can do it pretty fast.
    Terry

rick mccoll

@rgmccoll

This discussion has brought to mind several questions about edge treatment for silnylon.

Can this stuff be hemmed without using any edging? I have a rolled hemming foot that I have used with some success (read ugly) but find it tedious for a beginner.

Do have others better ideas? Or we just talking about more practice?

Happy 4th, BTW

Rick

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

You can french seam it. One stitch before you turn it inside out to french seam it then double stitch that just as you would with binding. It's a little bit more tricky but it will work if you don't want to bind the material.

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

Oware use a rolled hem I also use a rolled hem edge also on silnylon it works out really good with one pass under the sewing needle. I do the same roll it between my thumb and fore finger and sew for 6 inches then stop with the needle in the fabric then I roll up 6 inches more of fabric edge and sew.
    Terry

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> a presser foot that will automatically fold 7/8 to 1"; gg on material like silnylon?
    Nope. Doubtful! Too slippery and light.
    Take the time to do it by hand. Worth the time and care.

Cheers

Randy Smith

@papasmurf

I have found that even the lightest material works well with the attachment I recommended earlier. Here are a few samples I dug out of my scrap bin and quickly threw some 1" grosgrain edging on. More photos of this attachment can be found on my site here.
    http://www.mydiygear.com/pages/other-gear/plain-tape-binder.phpSample fabrics with grosgrain edging.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools