Topic

Recommend a good outdoor book? Stuck in airport for 7 hours.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Other Activities Recommend a good outdoor book? Stuck in airport for 7 hours.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    R Banks
    BPL Member

@eddaka

Locale: everywhere i guess

Hey guys,

I have my kindle with me and was wondering if any of you could recommend a good backpacking/outdoor book.

Please help me kill my boredom.
    -Richard

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

Relentless Forward Progress

by Bryon Powell

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

Touching the void.

The hours will fly past.

rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

deleted

Brian Camprini
    BPL Member

@bcamprini

Locale: Southern Appalachians

I've been a fan of Barry Lopez lately: Arctic Dreams (good stuff, ol Ed Abbey even liked this book), Of Men and Wolves, and I have Crossing Open Ground packed and ready for a trip this week.

Grizzly Years by Doug Peacock is a fun read.

Lots of good sailing books that anyone into UL hiking might also relate to. They range from The Cruising Life (a how to on ditching the 9 to 5 and going sailing) by Trefethren(?) to Adrift by Callahan (a survival story).

The Cormack McCarthy books are good and I think of All the Pretty Horses as an "outdoor book" to some degree.

That oughta hold ya for a few hours even if you got bumped on the flight.

Dylan Snodgrass

@truenorth

Locale: San Francisco, CA

The Lost City of Z by David Grann. Epic tale of the great adventurer Percy Fawcett searching the Amazon jungle for a lost civilization.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Kind of related, "1491." It's about the Western Hemisphere before Columbus. Well written and researched.

Peter Rodrigues
    BPL Member

@prodrigues

Locale: New York

Not quite backpacking, but definitely a minimalist ethic is David James Duncan's The River Why. All about the pursuit of an ideal life thru … fishing. But even if you don't fish, it's all about finding that special place in the wilderness.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools