Topic

5-day trek around Mount Rainier

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports 5-day trek around Mount Rainier

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

whatever

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Did a 5-day Wonderland Trail trek with some friends new and old (one new friend is doing the PCT and took a break from it to come do the Wonderland). We got very lucky with the weather, beautiful sunny days without being too warm, cool nights. Only had skeeter problems two of the four nights. A couple of sketchy parts including a recent washout on a very steep chute and a steep snow section (though we did not have nor did we need spikes), other than that the trail was in fine condition.

We started at White River and went counterclockwise. Camped at Carbon River, Golden Lakes, Devil’s Dream and Nickel Creek.

Here’s an elevation profile of the trail:

A few pics.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

so you decided to go ahead and do it.  Great opportunity, hard to get reservations.

93 miles in 5 days, nice pace

great pics.  I have never seen a marmot before

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

This particular marmot cracked me up. S/he was with another marmot on one side of the trail, as we approached this one suddenly scampered across the trail and then promptly plopped down in the grass on the other side. No idea if it thought it was hiding or what. They were about 5 feet in front of us (have never gotten that close to a marmot before). When we finally moved forward they both bolted.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have never seen a marmot before

Seriously, Jerry?

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Nice, Doug!

5 days on the WT is no joke. Good trail!  We stayed at a lot of the same places. I think devils dream is so named for the skeeters.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

Some fantastic photos there. It looks a great place. Thanks for sharing them.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

They were about 5 feet in front of us (have never gotten that close to a marmot before).

Probably looking for a handout.  Marmots are naturally wary, but when knuckleheads feed them they become habituated and can be quite annoying.  I once had to eat breakfast standing up and walking around to keep one off me:

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

yeah, I know that’s weird not to have seen a marmot before : )

in the Wallowas I saw a coyote walk by.  Doug was talking to two people with dog which distracted the Coyote so he didn’t notice me.  He got out of there pretty quickly.  I wasn’t able to get a good picture.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

wow in the Sierra marmots are everywhere. I remember once seeing one feasting on a giant bag of M and M’s that was on the grass next to a filled bear canister with the lid off. The owners of the canister were crashed out in their tent right next to this. In other news, you also have to actually wear a seat belt for it to be effective.

I agree that Doug’s pace was admirable. that isn’t an easy hike!

The year I did a partial circuit there was a bad washout on a very steep cliff/hill that plunged into a river far below. Interesting moment. Luckily there were shrubby hand holds.

My favorite part was walking up the ridge that adjoins Rainier just past Mystic Lake. There was constant rockfall down the glaciers there,. Unsettling because you can’t immediately or ever see the rockfall. On the ridge you’re safe but the sound is unnerving. Some camp on that ridge; I wonder how they sleep.

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

Whoa, yeah, Jerry has never seen a marmot?! How could that possibly be? I hike in the same places and have a tiny fraction of his experience and I’ve seen at least four. The one up at Summerland a couple years ago didn’t seem to want a handout, but wasn’t going to stop mowing down on the flowers just cause I was walking by.

Impressive pace Doug!

Question for you: Were any of the sketchy bits in Spray/Seattle Park? I’m doing a loop of that (Ipsut/Cataract Valley/Eagles Roost/Ipsut) with my daughter soon. She can handle herself on snowfields (and I even found microspikes that’ll fit kids size 1 shoes! “PNW problems.”) But it would be good to know what we’re getting into.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Thanks for the kind words all. Ironically, I thought we were doing a 6-day hike because I misread the email. Wasn’t until we started that I found out we were doing 5 days. Since the other three hikers were less than half my age, I didn’t feel too bad about being 5-10 minutes behind at times. :-)

@katherine
    : We did the Spray Park trail instead of Carbon River/Ipsut/Mowich. There was snow, but not lots, and nothing at all sketchy (the sketchy parts were around the south and southeast portion of the trail). I wouldn’t bother with microspikes, you’d be putting them on/taking them off every few minutes. I don’t remember any snow field being more than 25-30 feet across, maybe one that was perhaps 50 feet, but it was easy to get purchase in the snow with our trail runners (it was generally soft enough by mid-morning) and I don’t remember any dangerous runouts even if you did slip. The views on the Spray Park trail were definitely some of the best of the trip (and it’s where we saw the goats).

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Beautiful pictures.  Thanks for sharing.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

“Unsettling because you can’t immediately or ever see the rockfall.”

We would occasionally hear, but not see, some big booms coming from Rainier. Assumed they were from avalanches and such. You’re right about it being a bit unsettling!

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

@Doug Thanks for the info! We will be enjoying a much more leisurely pace.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

I thought we were doing a 6-day hike because I misread the email. Wasn’t until we started that I found out we were doing 5 days.

That’s hilarious.  “Guess what, guys…”  :-)

Great trip, great pics.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Just think of it as having an extra day of food🤷🏻‍♂️

Jerry, you’ve never seen marmots at goat rocks??? Ive seen like 10 on one trip. Thats like a minor miracle of sorts.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

The Wonderland Trail is one of the best, if not the best trail in the US (the world?), and 5 days is a fast pace.  But I’d recommend taking much longer if you are able to.  We spent 13 nights on the trail one summer and loved every minute of it.  We had lots of low mileage days with plenty of time to explore, relax, lounge around, soak our feet, contemplate our navels, whatever.

Our attitude is there’s no point racing through paradise!

I imply no criticism of a 5-day trip, of course, none whatsoever.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

“I imply no criticism of a 5-day trip, of course, none whatsoever.”

None taken at all. If I did it again I’d probably plan for 7 days. I don’t think I’d enjoy taking much longer than that – I’m not exceptionally good at sitting around (unless I’m home). Even taking five days, we took long lunches and a few other shorter breaks in pretty spots each day, and still got into camp at 4-4:30 each day, which is more camp time than I usually enjoy unless I have a book with me (and I didn’t for this trip).

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

“I thought we were doing a 6-day hike because I misread the email.”

details, details (smirk).  Not that 22k feet up plus the associated descent over 6 days would have been a walk in the park..

Sounds/looks like a nice place for a trip.  Wife’s cousin has a daughter living in Seattle and he’s been suggesting a Wonderland Trail trip … maybe I should call him about that?

Marmots?  MEH … got my fill of them on Whistlers Mountain so many decades ago.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

You’d love it Jim, it’s a fantastic hike. You were kind enough to show me northern Minnesota, I’d be happy to show you the Wonderland as well. Permits can be a bit tricky though.

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

Very well done, Doug.  Enjoyed the pictures immensely, and grimaced at the thought of 18+ mpd on that kind of upsy downsy trail.  A studly effort indeed.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools