Topic

5-7 Day Family Backpacking Ideas – Early July – WA/ID/MT/Canadian Rockies

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning 5-7 Day Family Backpacking Ideas – Early July – WA/ID/MT/Canadian Rockies

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Danielle M
    BPL Member

@outdoorfamily3

I’m casting a wide net because we are really flexible, with just a few parameters. Looking to do our first extended trip(s) with our 9 year old, who is a trooper but still 9, so 20 mile days aren’t reasonable yet. Searching “backpacking with kids” typically results in day hikes or something too short/easy. Ideal would be a trip with moderate yet interesting terrain and ~5-6 miles per day (definitely doesn’t have to be flat, but we don’t want him to hate hiking). Ponds, lakes, streams, interesting rocks, etc. a plus. Something away from crowds would be excellent. We’ve got ~3 weeks and had thought we might do two 5-7 day trips with a bit of exploring between. Live in Eastern Washington and seeking something within ~ 8 hour drive – we’re pretty new to the area and know there is so much to explore, just don’t quite know where to start. Can’t wait to hear your ideas – thanks in advance!

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

Whole lotta lakes, not too much elevation gain, in southern Oregon cascades.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

What I’m going about to say varies from the parameters of your posting and suggest this as a trip you might want to explore in the future. Our family started backpacking back when our three boy were ages 4, 6 and 8. We traveled to Isle Royale National Park for a eleven day adventure that covered a small portion of the main island AND we  rented a small boat from the concessioner on the island and explored a small portion of outer islands that had lots to see for three days. The topography on the island runs from ~700’ to 1300’, many lakes to explore by boat or packraft, fish and enjoy, vast amount of history concerning the early copper mining to see and explore, plant and animal wildlife is abundant, camp sites point to point distances run from 3mi to lengthy ~13mi depending on the routes you take (average 6mi), many campsite have lean to shelters and tent sites that are excellent and free to use. Could expand more on its attributes but there is a lot of published information printed and available. This is a place to place in your “bucket list” of areas to backpack as it is a great place for kids to start the craft of backpacking and being just kids.

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

You’re also striking distance from Olympic, North Cascades, and Glacier National Parks. All have permitting situations. I’ve only been to Oly so far, but there’s probably kid-appropriate stuff in there.

The Wallowas, Eagle Cap Wilderness, might be a good one for you.

Danielle M
    BPL Member

@outdoorfamily3

Ken – thanks for the great suggestion! Isle Royale has been on our list for years. Unfortunately it’s a bit too far for this summer, but I really appreciate the suggestion and hopefully we’ll get there soon!

Katherine – thanks for your response. You are right that we have a ton of great options around us – so many that it is sometimes tough to know where to start. Thus I thought I’d toss it out there and see if anyone had any specific recommendations. Thanks!

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

also oregonhikers.org (field guide and trip reports) and wta.org are good resources for local trail info.

(I’ve got a backpacking 9 year old too. the 7 year old is starting this summer.)

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Early July may be too early for the higher elevations but what about taking the boat from Chelan up to Stehekin and then hiking there. I think there is a trail on the east side where you get dropped off halfway up the Lake Chelan and then hike northward to Stehekin. From Stehekin, you could do an out-and-back up the PCT or connect something different; there seems to be a ton of trails up there.

I haven’t been up there, and have no idea about reserving campsites, shuttles up to various trailheads, etc. But it would be memorable!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Given the amount of snow in The Cascades this year, you might consider the Olympic NP.  Lot of possibilities at lower elevations over there, including hikes along the coastal stretch.  For a 9 year old, the tide pools and forest margin would be a candy shop.

John Smith
    BPL Member

@jcar3305

Locale: East of Cascades

Olympic Coast. Lots of great choices. My favorite​ with new backpackers is to hike in to Toleak point, set up base camp and play for 3 to 4 days.

Stehekin is good too, you can hike in From Rainy Pass. Some neat things to do in Stehekin for a 9 year old.

Ross lake is another good choice, but dependent on your canoe skills and access to equipment.

White pass to Chinook pass could be good, but you might face a couple spots of snow in early July. I would feel comfortable with my kids doing that when they were nine, but then again I took the glissading when they were 4.

Lots of nice trips in the Goat Rocks, and some good ones north of Snoqualmie too.

Danielle M
    BPL Member

@outdoorfamily3

Thanks everyone for the great ideas!

Steven – I hadn’t thought about Lake Chelan and Stehekin. The boat is a great idea, I’ll check out the trails that extend from there.

Tom – we love the coast at Olympic NP and that’s a great suggestion to look there, especially given this year’s snow.

John – thanks for the really specific suggestions and great locations. That is really useful!

Thanks so much to all of you! Don’t hesitate to keep the suggestions coming – we’re hoping to do lots of adventures in the coming years!!!

John Smith
    BPL Member

@jcar3305

Locale: East of Cascades

Ingalls Creek trail starting near Blewett pass is a great hike. Lots of trees, a great Creek, beautiful scenery and easy to set up camp in so many places.

Pete’s lake north of the I90 and west of Cle Elum is great for single day trip, but could also be part of a string of camps ending up at Snoqualmie pass. However it will have a couple of fierce climbs for an encumbered 9 year old.

Another one is a hike from Sulfur Creek Campground out the Suiattle River trail 9 miles to the intersection with the PCT.  From there head South another 4 miles to some beautiful old growth forest and there is great fishing along the creek there. Out and back would be 26-30 miles and the trail is pretty benign with plenty of designated and also other potential campsites.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools