Topic

5-6 Days in Dolly Sods with Scouts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Backpacking Light with Scouts 5-6 Days in Dolly Sods with Scouts

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

My troop is considering a roll your own trip to Dolly Sods in Summer 2023. Most of the routes I see are less than 30 miles and I’d like to make it a 5-6 day trip. Have any of you gone there for more than 3 days? Do you have the route you did?

I’m also considering other backpacking trips within a day’s drive of Northern, VA for the same number of days. The Smokies would be great but they have group limits that would make it not work.

Mark Messonnier
    BPL Member

@qzm3

Brad – the site just lost my reply (twice) so I’ll send you a PM with a Dolly Sods route I did last October, hiking five days.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I’ve been to the Sods on three trips and felt that I really covered it pretty completely in two days on each trip.  If you end up going in July you’ll have to remember sunscreen – most of the northern part of the Sods is in full sun.

You don’t say how big your group is, but another thought, on a trail less traveled, would be to do a chunk of the Mid State Trail in PA.  It would be a point-to-point hike so you’d need to work out the logistics, but the MST passes through a number of state parks with camping so you could mix up staying on trail with staying in a group site at a state park.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

Kevin, this is for 2023, so I can’t be certain of group size, but I suspect it would be 12, including adults. Thank you for that suggestion. Splitting it into 2 hikes is a possibility.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools