Topic

1st ever MYOG: 2 oz day pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 1st ever MYOG: 2 oz day pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Tyler H
    BPL Member

@ctwnwood

Locale: Madison

So, I broke my leg about 3 weeks ago and was disappointed I wouldn't be spending my summer working outside (USFS) as planned.
    Then I discovered I could make my own gear and learn to sew!

Summertime is overrated anyway.

Below are some pics of my first ever MYOG project – the only sewing I've done since the 7th grade. Thanks for the help Mom!

side1

back

front

Came in at 2 oz. all told. It's made with the only ripstop nylon Jo-Ann's had. The project lacked any planning or design, just a first go at this to work out the kinks before my Quest order gets in and I start a real pack.

I was thinking about the REI Flash 18 when I made it. It's about 18"x9"x6" which makes ~16L capacity (of light fluffy gear).

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Great job on your 1st project!

I hope your healing & rehab are coming along well.

Todd

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Tyler,

Sorry to hear about your leg but happy to hear and see your entry into the world of MYOG.

"… thinking about the REI Flash 18 when I made it."

Amazing resemblance to the GG Riksak.

http://gossamergear.com/catalog/product/gallery/id/223/image/370/

Good job! ;-)

Party On,

Newton

Tyler H
    BPL Member

@ctwnwood

Newton, wow! That's a little scary good thing mine's not for sale! I even named my the 'sashapack'.
    Great minds think alike….?

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

Tyler,
    Sorry to hear about your injury been their a lot with ankle injuries over the year skateboarding pools. You did a nice job on backpack that can be sleeping bag stuff sack and away from base camp day pack.

Let me warn you about the Joanns ripstop nylon fabric frays easily apart . I would sew a seam over the shoulder strap edge outline and faux fell seam around the interior pack seam to make the pack more durable.
    Terry

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

Nice looking little pack, Tyler. Hope the leg recovery goes to plan.

Not sure I'm too impressed with the Gossamer Gear page; I don't like things that muck about with my browser window sizing without asking my permission. Yes, I'm fussy…

Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

I agree with Terry on the Joann ripstop. I used some for a running pack and it was well on its way to unraveling itself before I finished the pack. It still works just fine, but if you put the pack to good use, it will cause fraying with that fabric, so you may want to find a way to fix it like Terry suggested.

The materials from Quest on the other hand are a much better quality in this aspect.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I had purchased a cheap daypack years ago, and its fabric was fraying very early. I simply ran a line of seam sealer over each exposed seam, and that fixed it.

Joann ripstop nylon is somewhere between poor and @#$%&*$, in my opinion.

–B.G.–

Tyler H
    BPL Member

@ctwnwood

Thanks for the heads up with the JoAnns ripstop.
    I was also disappointed to notice a couple holes in the fabric when I got it home.
    I don't think UL fabrics are really JoAnns market. In fact, I'm totally sure they're not.

Ryan K
    Spectator

@thesergeant

Locale: Ryan

LOL! I'm not the only one! I was planning a border to border cycling trip this summer but was hit by a car on my motorcycle 4 weeks before my departure date. Instead of an incredible trip I got a broken hand and 2 pins. Since I couldn't do anything active I started sewing as well. I've made a few small stuff sacks and bags but no backpacks yet. You've inspired me to give it a go though.

Great work! I've been using the same ripstop from joanns. I've been rolling the seams or using bias tape to combat the fray.

Keep it up, let's see some more!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools