Topic

deydrating questions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition deydrating questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Royal Magnell

@blueman

Locale: Northern CA

Hello,

I'm thinking of trying to take a favorite sauce into the backcountry. It's very simple–steamed carrots and onions blended until smooth with large amounts of olive oil. My question is, what would be the best way to dehydrate this? I'd like it to be a just add hot water sort of thing. Should I steam the veggies, dehydrate them, and them powder them in a blender? Or should I dry the veggies after the blending? Is the flavor likely to be similar to when it's fresh? Either way I'm planning on adding the oil in the backcountry. I really doubt dehydrating oil will work well.

Also, does anyone have a favorite tofu jerky recipe they like?

Thanks!

Royal

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Always add the oil once you prepare it in camp. On the veggies, cook as you would, dry and then powder.

Will it be 100% the same? No but you will still enjoy it!

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Royal… I would do both blend before drying… then dehydrate and then make it into a powder. There is a slight difference in flavor and you'll find that hotter spices get muted a little bit sometimes. Add the oil in the backcountry.

I have a tofu jerky recipe in my latest book. I'm off to bed but I'll try to remember to pull it from the manuscript files and post it in the morning. Don't ever try to rehydrate tofu… it's not worth the effort as it never comes back.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools