Topic

Tarp setup – Trekking poles directly in grommets or not?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Tarp setup – Trekking poles directly in grommets or not?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

I have a GG SpinnTwinn and have been setting it up with my trekking poles placed directly in the grommets, which is how they do it in the video on the GG website. However, I've noticed in a lot of pictures that tarps like this are often set up with the guyline wrapped around the trekking pole, which is a few inches away from the tarp itself. Is there a reason why you would do it one way instead of the other? Maybe first way if you have adjustable trekking poles and second way if they are fixed length?

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Placing your poles a few inches away gives you more room around the shelter.
    Less chance of bumping your poles and shaking morning dew loose and many other reasons.

Pitching with the poles close gives a more rigid pitch, less flapping in wind.

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Locale: Stamford, CT

I much prefer wrapping ridge lines around the trekking poles for a few reasons:

– My GG LT4s have optional baskets. I leave them at home to save weight in the summer. If I slip the webbing of my shelter over the pointy end of the pole, there is nothing to hold it there, it just slips down. (grommet may be small enough to catch just on the tip.)

– Putting my trekking poles upright keeps them cleaner. I also read about an animal gnawing the foam off an inverted trekking pole. I'd rather that not happen.

– More space around tarp opening like Steve said.

– I actually think it is more stable than upside down in that in decently firm ground I can stick my pole into the ground nice and firmly.

Geoff Webb

@photonic

I also place my poles a few inches away as I feel it gives a tighter pitch. However I will say I use a clove hitch rather than a simple wrap around the handle. I feel it holds the handle better as well as allows me to move the pole within the line with relative ease.

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Adjustable trekking poles like the TiGoats and GG LT4s can get water in them if left overnight in a rain storm inverted. Water get in between the upper and lower section and eventually rusts the metal bits inside. (The GG poles have O-Ring to help prevent this.)

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Yes, one of my biggest complaints with pole manufacturers is the way they use parts that oxide easily.

This is especially a problem around sea water. Stainless steel instead of carbon steel would have been a wiser and relatively inexpensive option.

I have had aluminum poles pit from oxidation. A light go over with steel wool takes car of it. Carbon is better in that respect.

It's too bad there aren't carbon poles that don't use easily oxidizable components.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

I don't like a pole tip in a grommet because a stiff wind can lift the grommet up, then set the tarp on the tip….rip…. OS.

I like tip down, because that sticks better, and as an added benefit, keeps the handle out of the mud, keeps the handle away from critters, and keeps water out to the pole.

PolePocket
    They do add weight, but it's a trade-off I can live with.

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Hey Greg,

What benefits to the caps gives you for the weight vs. wrapping the guy lines around the poles? (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=33497005&l=272efec9ac&id=17506531)

I studied Roleigh's Hexamid Twin with the cap on the rear pole and did not see a benefit, but I don't know everything of course.

Thanks.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Bryce,
    The wrap shown in that photo will "roll" away from the tent/tarp.
    A clove hitch would be much better.
    And I can throw on a clove hitch pretty quickly.

But for me, a pole pocket is just easier.
    Plus, not all our adjustable poles have Leki grips – mine are inverted tapered EVA foam.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Another advantage to the pole being set a little bit away from the tarp is that you can pitch the tarp lower. When I want to pitch the tarp lower than my trekking pole will collapse, I can stake the sides low, then run the ridge line (almost always in back) up to near the handle of the collapsed pole. I tie the clove hitch just above a piece of duct tale I store there on the pole.

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Gotcha on the caps.

I've never had a pole roll away from my tarp in a few years now. The pole is driven into the ground. If it wants to roll away it needs two things IMO: 1) twisting on the pole, not sure how wind would do that and 2) the pole driven into the ground has to move closer or farther from the tarp. I actually adjust my pole once in awhile when the pitch doesn't go quite right by picking the pole up off the ground where it is planted and twisting it nearer or farther away from the tarp. I haven't been in weather conditions where wind could do both of those actions.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools