Topic

Lightweight Cooking Kit

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightweight Cooking Kit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kyle Purcell

@dufus934

Locale: North Texas

What is your lightweight cooking kit? Not just something to boil water with, but an actual cooking kit. I usually only carry a cook kit that allows me to boil water, but I am wandering what other people bring that they use to actually cook with. Also, I am an avid coffee drinker, so what do you bring on the trail to make coffee? Any input will be appreciated.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Um … 'kit'?
    1.8 L Ti pot for two people.
    Bowls and spoons for each.
    Large cups for each.

Cheers

Derek Goffin

@derekoak

Locale: North of England

The lightest cup I have found is a King Sized pot noodle mug with the top cut off just above the fill line and the extra bit rolled out to make a comfortable rim. Boiling water to soften then gloves and a lot of clothes pegs to hold as the plastic is bent out. 18 gram.
    For Real coffee http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/gsi_outdoors_ultralight_javadrip.html a reuseable filter that fits on the above cup 14 gram.
    I usually only boil water in a beer can pot but if I want to cook I would take a bigger sturdier pot.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

Depends on your definition of cooking but I do like Roger but with a 2 liter Anti Gravity Gear pot. I have always used a stove that can simmer it you really need to cook something slow, currently a Brunton Crux. We always have one pot and stove for 2-4 people with each having their own cups, bowls and spoons.

For coffee I have become used to instant expresso (pretty good flavor and strength), via didn't impress me, or the MSR mug mate. I have thought about the GSI set up Derek has the link to because that is basically how I make it at home.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools