Topic

MYOG Modular pack options

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Modular pack options

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I just completed sewing some modular pockets for my HMG pack.

First, the pack. It was designed by Ryan Jordan and built by HMG. They should have it up for sale on the site soon.

What I loved was the incredible amount of modular options the pack offers.

The first project was a mesh pocket for the front of the pack. Javan Dempsey and I came up with the design together and he did most of the sewing. It attaches in several places along the daisy chains down the sides of the front of the pack. The back is sil and the front is stretch mesh.

Next up were hip belt pockets. I sewed these myself from blue VX21.

The first pocket came out ok but there are definitely some visible mistakes.

The second is a much better design.

The stiff nature of VX21 makes it a great material for pockets. They hold their shape very well.

James Klein
    BPL Member

@jnklein21

Locale: Southeast

Really like this concept (base pack w/ MYOG add ons). I would be interested on a seeing a little more detail on how those pockets attach to the hipbelt wing. It looks like the wing will slide btw the VX21 fabric and a couple of sections of bartacked webbing. Do you guys come up with a way to minimize sliding along the circumference of the hipbelt.

The lack of info provided on the pack may have been deliberate…but any specs you could provide on it?? Weight, volume, is it framed (or stiffened), price range?

thanks for the post Chris…and Javan I always appreciate the stuff you put out.

James

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

You pretty much have it correct. There are two strips of elastic webbing on the back that slide over the padded portion of the belt. The second pocket is a tight enough fit to where it won't slide around. The first I'm not so sure on, but I'll report back after an upcoming trip.

The pack is ~26 oz and ~55 L. It has the same aluminum stay suspension as their Windrider and will probably be around $275. The big differences between this pack and the Windrider are the lack of pockets and hip belt design. This one also has daisy chains all the way down both sides of the front and one more compression strap on each side.

More pack photos

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools