Topic

Resource for good trail maps?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Resource for good trail maps?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mat Tallman

@wehtam

Locale: Midwest

I'm looking to put together a last-minute trip for this coming weekend, and have my eyes on the Roan Highlands. I've wanted to get out that direction for a long time but have no good trail maps or topos of the area, nor do I have good info to plan a trail loop through the region.

Any good resources for trail maps available online? Buying/shipping is not really an option given the time table.

Other options include the Mt Rogers/Grayson area in Va, another place on my short list and at the outer edges of my range of willingness to drive (home is central IL)

Any other regional options you may have to suggest too, I'm all ears, I'm certainly not dead-set on the region I'm looking at, but I've got to get out of the crummy excuses for backpacking trails we have here in the midwest, or at least in IL/MO/IN.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Not sure what happened to my post – maybe because it was only a link.

Perhaps hillmap.com will give you enough info to work with?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

You really don't need a map for the AT. You really can't do a loop here so since you are on a liner trail this database ought to be all you need. If you do want maps though, I like the ATC one the best. This is a great area, you won't be disappointed. I may be going up to Mt Rogers/Grayson Highlands so if you are interested let me know.

Here is the link to the database:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?22730-The-WhiteBlaze-AT-Data-Base&p=340867

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Hey Matt Where you want to go? How much time you got? where are you in central Illinois Im by Davenport, Ia. I got some maps of midwest locations

Mat Tallman

@wehtam

Mark,

I had already made peace with driving 10-11 hrs to get to Roan or Mt Rogers areas, so anywhere within that driving distance would be doable. I tend to hike faster, 20 or more miles per day is generally my goal, so anything I can do 1-2 nights with that sort of mileage per (full) day would work.

Bradford,

When are you heading up to Grayson? I'm generally a solo hiker for various reasons, but having a guide in someone who knows the area would be a pretty sweet deal.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

I haven't decided if I am going up Friday or Saturday yet. Theoretically, I could head up Friday and come back Monday, but there aren't really enough trails in the highlands to keep me up there for that long. I almost refuse to go below 4000 feet in this heat, and prefer not to go below 5000 feet. It looks like it will be a hot one this weekend with it being 98* at home and a forecast 86* on Saturday in the highlands. I have never seen it that hot there. I would expect it to be very crowded this weekend, but options with enough miles at high elevation is hard to find. I have hiked in the highlands at least half a dozen times, but am by no means an expert. I know more about the GSMNP and the AT further south.

I do have an old scan of a map I can send you that includes most of the Virginia Highlands area. Email me at b_rogers_99(AT)yahoo(DOT)com and I will be glad to send it your way.

Another option for you might be the AT through the Smokies. It is 73 miles and can be done in 4 days pretty easy and is almost all above 5K. You have to stay in shelters though if that makes a difference. I have already hiked most of that this year so it isn't an option for me but it might make sense for you. There is a great online map too.

Mat Tallman

@wehtam

Bradford,

I did most of the northern half of the Smokies AT last summer (newfound gap to low gap), I had considered an AT/BMT loop through the southern half of the park, but I've grown a little tired of the crowds, regulations, shelters, etc in GSMNP. Being able to stealth wherever rather than only at heavily traveled/impacted capsites has great appeal to me.

Anyone have experience w/ the red river gorge area in Ky? I generally feel like if I go that far, I might as well keep on trucking to the AT area, but could be probably convinced otherwise.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

I have never been to RRG but it looks like a nice place, but I have the understanding that it is small. Big South Fork might be a nice option too, but it is pretty low compared to the Appalachians and therefore would be hot. That bothers some more than others.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools