Topic

Best mosquita headnet

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best mosquita headnet

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Charles Maguire

@hikelite

Locale: Virginia

I am going on 10 day BSA trip and need mosquito headnet for me and son. This site has their UL Mosquito Net on backorder as they try to find a new supplier with no estimate of timing.

Any suggestions for very good mosquito headnet that can fit over baseball ccal and Tilley hat.

Thanks

Hikelite

Clint N.
    Spectator

@cnewitt

Locale: Utah

You could try the headnet at MountainLaurelDesigns.com. I don't own it so don't know which types of hats it will fit over the top of. On the website it states it fits over most brimmed hats. It is found under the clothing link on Ron's site.

Scott Haddon

@rebeldawg63

Locale: Southeast

Just got a sea to summit headnet & it weighs .6oz after some trimming. Ordered it from basegear.com–http://www.basegear.com/sea-to-summit-mosquito-net.html for $7.19.
    They are having a 4th of july sale now on a lot of stuff!
    Yes, you can use it as a stuff sack as well.

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

I have the MLD headnet. It is too small around for the wide brim tilley hat. If your hat has a narrow brim, say ~1.5-2" the MLD headnet should be just about right.

Charles Maguire

@hikelite

Locale: Virginia

Thanks all. I don't know why I didn't think of MLD as I am using their bug bivy under a tarp.

This will be in Canada in July around alot of water so good netting will be a must.

Regards

Troy Childs

@tchilds

I like to use the OR spring ring headnet over my tilley hat. A lot more expensive if you're going to remove the spring ring kind of a waste.

It fits perfectly over my tilley hat wide brim and the ring holds it away from my face in combination with the hat brim so well that I forget its there after a short while.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I really like the ones made by Simblissity that are sold only by the BPL store. If the two firms are separating, then I'd go with Simblissity. With mine, I hardly notice that I have it on–in fact, several times I have forgetten to remove it from my lower face before eating or drinking! It also goes well down on my shoulders so that it doesn't expose my neck when I reach up or bend over. Any headnet that meets these requirements will do the job.

Even a non-sewer can make their own! A bug headnet is really easy to make–it's effectively a cylinder that is long enough to go well down on the shoulders (where a drawstring is appropriate) and wide enough to fit over a wide-brimmed hat (with elastic closure at the top). If you get a similar netting (fine black thread, but not noseeum), and use lightweight drawstring and elastic, you will have basically the same headnet!

Of course if you'll be where noseeums are a problem, you do want a headnet of noseeum mesh.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools