Topic

Summerlite down all on top with continuous baffle

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Summerlite down all on top with continuous baffle

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    John Chong
    BPL Member

@johnch

Because of its continuous baffle, we can take down from the bottom of the bag to the top of the WM Summerlite. I wonder if WM rated it at 32 degrees with all the down on top, or evenly split 2"/2".

If not, and anybody with the bag, what's the lowest you guys took this bag down to with all the loft on top? I just ordered a quilt that has 2" loft of 900down, and was wondering if I can use the summerlite to take me down to a chilly 20" or so.

Any opinions on continuous baffle and their rating?

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

I routinely fluff the bag before going to bed, so most of the down is on top. Enough of it then settles along the sides avoid cold spots. The coldest I've taken it without regret is the high 20s (27-28 F). I definitely feel cold, but not dangerously so, at 30 or less. I should comment that I don't bring much in the way of clothing on my trips (one base layer, one windshirt, and a nanopuff or cocoon for insulation) and I am wearing all of it when it's cold. I remember Buck Nelson recently discussing how he brought much more in the way of clothing but was able to take his sleep system much lower (like 20 degrees lower) than its rating. For me it's more weight efficient to just bring what I need in the way of clothing and take a heavier bag if cold. With my system, I couldn't take a summerlite to 20F.

edit- I should add that I don't use an enclosed tent either. This would potentially add about 10 degrees to your comfort level.

Will Webster

@willweb

I slept comfortably in a Summerlite last winter when it was 20F outside our 3-season tent (BA Fly Creek 2). Used a full length thinlite, 3/4 length thermorest, and torso-length Z-lite. Wore socks, expedition weight capilene pants, Ibex hooded Indie, R1 equivalent midlayer, and knit hat. Laid my Alpine Light jacket over me in the bag.

EDIT: I did not attempt to shift the down to the top; new to this winter camping thing.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Just had a couple of nights in it starting at around 32f going down to 23 at around 4-5AM.
    I was wearing 2 pairs of socks (Coolmax and wool mix) wool thermal pants, WM Flight pants, wool singlet and WM Flight jacket, on and off a wool hat.
    Did that specifically to see how I could stretch the temp range with extra clothing.
    In the morning at around 9 with wind chill we were down to between 23f and 11f depending on the wind gusts. (I was also playing with a Kelstrel 2500)so the puffy top and bottom were handy inbetween getting up and leaving (too hot for walking)
    BTW, I was on top of an Exped DM 7.
    Inside the tent (TT Moment) the temp was the same as outside except for the wind chill.
    I cannot shift the down myself because I turn all night so the bottom is on the side or top every so often.
    Franco

James Klein
    BPL Member

@jnklein21

Locale: Southeast

Maybe I missed it Franco … but how comfortable were you over this range with this setup.

James

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

oh, yes , you do have a point…
    I was very comfortable and still had a bit of clothing to use just in case.
    All layers that I have with me.
    Those are my eVent pants and jacket , a Buff, and a thin fleece top, something like a 100 and possum down/merino wool gloves as well as my trousers (nylon by Montane)
    .So I could take that system down another several degrees and still be comfortable.
    Also had a spare Merino T , normally my night top but since the day one was perfectly dry I opted to wear that all of the 3 days.
    HOWEVER I would not recommend that system to many because it relays on you arriving at camp mostly or completely dry.
    I don't sweat much and wear very little whilst walking and also have a fully waterproof backpack (Aarn) as well as waterproof warm boots (Salomon Beluha).
    Well they remained waterproof (we had wet snow and mud lower down) till we had a river crossing just under 2 miles before the car.
    The shallowest safe point still had a couple of knee deep holes.
    Franco

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

John, the bag is rating for freezing with 60% of the down on top, 40% on bottom.

John Chong
    BPL Member

@johnch

How do you know this?

Ron D
    BPL Member

@dillonr

Locale: Colorado

Hi John – I remember hearing the same 60/40 distribution number in a WM podcast interview.
    Ron

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

I'm a WM dealer and asked them about the distribution years ago.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

who says you can't learn something new- thanks :)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools