Topic

2006 Backpacking Light Staff Picks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable 2006 Backpacking Light Staff Picks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Locale: North East

My leki titanium poles. Not so much because of the poles themselves, but it’s my first time using poles while hiking and I’m hooked.

My MSR mini towel. I never thought it would be so useful on the trail and in camp.

My Patagonia Houdini. It’s so cool I almost feel like I’m bragging when I wear it. [Close 3rd is my Patagonia Micropuff vest which I wear almost every chance I get]

Greg Vaillancourt

@gsv45

Locale: Utah

1) Tarptent Squall 2 floorless

2) Icebreaker Merino zip T

3) Heineken 25 0z. can pot

The only problem with the Heineken pot is it looks like a keg, which makes me dream of beer…”Mmmmmmm Beeeeeeeer, aaauuuuuugggghhhhh”

barry hitchcock

@barryspoons

one–photon x micro led 3 pack from bpl—“every family member is sure to want one” –they did- -i need to order some more–two–phd down vest 800 uk fillpower –8ozs size small

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

In no particular order my top 3 are:
    Granite Gear Virga (modified)
    Gossamer Gear Nightlite Torso
    Light My Fire spork

Mark Watson

@mwbike

Locale: Northwest

Here are the 3 items that made the most impact on my backpacking in 2006:

1) Tarptent Rainshadow (very roomy for 2 or even 3 people)

2) Photon LEDs

3) REI(Komperdell) carbon trekking poles

Since I’m new to UL backpacking, and I recently subscribed to BPL, I’m sure 2007 will be even more dynamic & en-LIGHTening!

Kenneth Knight
    BPL Member

@kenknight

Locale: SE Michigan

Len, I haven't used the Leki CF poles but check out the Review Summary Doug Johnson wrote and maybe you'll find some other poles you like.

I have had the occasional pole collapse using the C3 poles, but then I think I can make just about anything collapse that uses twist-locks. I put a lot of pressure on the poles when descending so this is not really unexpected. I was very pleased with their stiffness and they show no indication that they're going to break. In fact I have hurt myself more than I have hurt the poles (slip and fall on slick snow a month ago on a section of North Country Trail. The polehandle landed on my left thumb and I landed on the pole. My thumb still hurts from the resulting soft-tissue injury).

Phil Barton
    BPL Member

@flyfast

Locale: Oklahoma

This has been a great year for hiking. I've been out for a lot of short trips and continue to make significant strides toward a light pack. 3 successes for this year include:

1. Gossamer Gear Lightrek Poles – love 'em. As my wife has noted, I don't come home banged and cut from falling on every trip now. With their negligble weight I am finally happy using poles. 6.9 oz. for 130cm poles with baskets.

2. Mountain Laurel Designs Pro Poncho – Will Reitveld gave this a solid review. I've been very pleased with its field use so far. 10.0 oz.

3. Brooks Cascadia running shoes – the search for well fitting and comfortable trail runners has led through 6 models so far. These are the most comfortable for me yet. Size 12. 26.9 oz. Oh, did I mention that they are the ugliest shoes I've ever owned? My wife won't let me wear them in town.

Gregory Doggett

@gregory

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

My favorite 3 that I'm currently using for late-fall/winter trips in Va.

Six Moon Designs Gatewood Cape
    Gossamer Gear Mariposa Standard Pack
    Icebreaker Merino Wool Skin200 l/s crew & boxer brief

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

No order:

injinji socks
    MiniBuck multitool
    CC stove w/ esbit (probable; haven't even gotten it yet)

Also, Pringles are, from what I remember, the highest calorie/mass food (other than lard or olive oil).

Steve

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools