Topic

Buying gear on PCT

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Casey Balza

@equals

I was wondering if I will be able to buy a bear canister on the PCT or if I will have to buy one before I go and ship it to the spot where I will need it. Also will I be able to pick up an ice axe?

Buck Nelson
    BPL Member

@colter

Locale: Alaska

If you are talking about thru-hiking the PCT you would probably be able to buy both along the trail, including at the kick-off (ADCPCTKO.) But most thru-hikers have their bear canister mailed to Kennedy Meadows and many have their ice axe mailed there as well, so they don't have to carry those items through long stretches where they aren't needed.

Casey Balza

@equals

Thanks Buck, I will be purchasing those items then before my thru-hike and will have them shipped to me.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Bear Vault has a special deal for PCT hikers http://www.bearvault.com/bearvault_pct.php

Also, every year an announcement is made on the PCT-L list about the PCT bear canister loan program. You have to be needy and you have to pick up the bear canister in Agua Dulce, but you can mail it forward from there.

Casey Balza

@equals

Thanks for the info on the special PCT thru hiker deal for the canisters :)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools