Topic

DIY Elephant Foot style quilt?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear DIY Elephant Foot style quilt?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Chris H
    BPL Member

@nxp

Locale: Upper Midwest

Thanks to this wonderful site, I've really started to drop weight in my pack.

In an effort to try and combine insulation layers and drop weight, I was wondering if anyone has tried an Elephant's foot style quilt paired with a UL feather coat/sweater?

I've got one of those EB down coats that works great, and has quickly become my favorite insulation layer. My sleeping bag (45deg syn mummy) weighs in over 1.5#'s, and while it's not too heavy, honestly the my coat is much warmer and lighter.

My plan is to try out a down EF style quilt for the bottom, and my EB up top.

Thinking about giving this a try with an inexpensive down throw, and if it works, move into something with hopefully better down fill/lighter shell.

Anyone know of any light, nylon shelled down throws on the market? Thinking nylon shell as it will hopefully be a bit more element resistant than the cotton/whatever you find them in at the store. Cheaper is always better. :)

Or better yet, am I off base, and should I redirect?

C

David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Locale: mid-west

I've been hoping that someone had a source for you. I have a friend that took two sleeping bags and converted them into a "fat" suit with legs and arms. When it was time for bed he just unzipped the seperate legs and zipped it to an elephant foot.

It would be nice to be able to prototype on cheaper stuff than momentum and 900 fill down.

Dave

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools