Topic

tahoe rim trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips tahoe rim trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    justin velo
    BPL Member

@jetboiler

Anybody else thinking about heading up there around the 4th?

Any recent first had experiences with the trail conditions up there? looks like the Desolation section is still under snow.
    cry-

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

I'm trying to do this sooner rather than later, as a pre-JMT check-up.

Count me in as interested.

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Locale: Southern California

There's some recent information on the TRT Yahoo Group

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheTahoeRimTrail/message/36

I'm doing a TRT thru starting 7/13 and have been asking the gods for hot weather and a quick thaw.

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

I literally just got back from desolation(meeks to echo lakes).. I didn't see the trail once(well just the first mile up meeks and the last mile down to echo..). some parts have 8-10ft of snow.. just ridiculous.. average level was at about 4-5ft.

It actually made it better with that much snow.. less postholing and many of the creek crossing(and I imagine there a lot more from runoff) had very strong snow/ice bridges to cross.

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Locale: Southern California

Thanks for that report Jason….I think:-) Did you have any navigation issues? Use a GPS or compass and map?

Don

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

no nav issues. used map and compass. I didn't really try to stay near the trails at all.. only near passes and any other essential routes.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools