Topic

Finally got my climashield and M90 for a summer quilt – question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Finally got my climashield and M90 for a summer quilt – question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

After about a year+ I finally bought the materials.

For the M90 it is DWR and I also have some 5mm silk.

If I use M90 for inside and out for the inside, do I turn the DWR side inside the quilt or on the outside.

What do you think about 5mm silk on the inside vs M90 on the inside.

Also….

I made a test quilt about 2 years ago. It has a draw string foot box which is nice for summer. Also have a Golite ultra 20 and I do like the normal footbox for cold weather, but the drawstring type is more versatile IMO in warm weather.

Have not started because I just cant decide on the foot box.

Nancy Twilley

@goodcaver2

Locale: STL

As far as the DWR coating goes, it doesn't really matter which side it's on. I think these things are generally "shiny side in"

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Thats why I was asking. It has a dull side and a shiny side.
    Me thinking the shiny side was the DWR side.

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Locale: Ruta Locura

The shiny side is actually a cire treatment/finish. The cire treatment is a huge part of what makes it down proof, it also adds to the water resistence. General rule of thumb is cire side in, dull("finish")side out, but it ultimately does not matter. The DWR, W/R, treatment is applied to the finished side, but this is not some sort of superficial coating, that is only topical. W/R treatments are thin, vicously, and make their way into the weave of the fabric, part of what makes them effective.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools