Topic

Terra Nova Laser Ultra 1 Tent Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Terra Nova Laser Ultra 1 Tent Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

Great article and inforamtional read as usual. I truely enjoy your reviews. The cuben Lightheart Solo is a double wall tent and Judy advertises it at 14 oz. I have the tent with optional awning and it weighs 18 oz on my scale. Great design…and well worth one of your reviews.

Jenny Simchock
    Spectator

@framelessbob

Locale: R.D.U

Liked your temp. graph and would like to see someone do temperature differences inside and out of other shelters, especially a bivy.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Jenny,

My wife and I just returned from a backpacking trip using a small 2 person, no longer made, REI tent (Coupe?). It has a lot of mosquito netting so I have an all fabric cozy that covers the mosquito netting.

The outside temps were 33F and 35F on two successive nights. Inside temps didn't get below 50+F while we were sleeping on either of these nights. So, assuming some thermometer variance from my cheap thermometers I'd say the tent was about 15 degrees warmer than the outside air. Even assuming a lot of thermometer error would give us at least a 10 degree bump.

The night was dead still. No wind. While sleeping, a 10+ degree increase in temps inside a small,all fabric, double wall tent is typical for me. A temporary increase of 15-25 degrees is also typical while active within the tent (e.g. while changing clothes).

Daryl

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Very informative review and great photos that also explained a lot.

But… I'll take a SMD Skyscape X Cuben "hybrid" double wall instead. Far less $$ and better rooom with the option of a Cuben fabric porch for hot climes. The Skyscape X seems to be THE solo Cuben tent design on the cutting edge.

Made in Vietnam or not, The TN "Ultra Laser 1" is overpriced. Maybe it's the Brit taxes or maybe they are just "too proud" of their product.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools