Topic

mesh for a chest pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear mesh for a chest pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Locale: mid-west

Looking for a source for a durable mesh to make a vest with webbing attachments for SAR work.

I tried the ribz pack last weekend and was very disappointed. My chest got sweaty and hot. The straps and rings cut into my shoulders. When zipped, the items I was carrying got compressed and pushed the buttons on my gps and radio…very frustrating.

I'm looking to design or buy a mesh chest panel to hang different items on. It can attach to the backpack straps or not, but it must be breathable.

I see many myogers using mesh on their backpack designs, I don’t think it needs to be stretchy, but should be comfortable. Any help on how to secure the edges will be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

Don Meredith
    Spectator

@donmeredith

Locale: SouthEast

I'd start with thru-hiker.com and questoutfitters.com for fabric in general.

David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Thanks for the links, but I was hoping for some insight into each different kind of mesh. I need more than product descriptions. It needs to be tough and fairly stiff, as I will be sewing loops and Velcro to hang items from. (Radios, gps, compass, tape)

If someone has handled, prodded, abused these products, let me know.

Thanks

Dave

Shane Bailey

@shane112510

The only kind of mesh that I can think of that would suit you would be the 4mm Foam Ventilated Mesh, the kind of mesh many MYOGers use for the inside of their shoulder straps and hipbelts. You would probably want to sew it a stiffer nylon fabric to give it structure, which won't allow it to breathe quite as well, but will make it easier to wear and easier to work with altogether.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

David,

Consider ordering a sample packet of mesh from Seattle Fabrics.

http://seattlefabrics.com/mesh.html

Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

There are two sample packs filled with meshes; you can either order one or the other for $2.00 each, or get both for $4.00

1 of 2 – Bag and Screening Mesh; includes: Dive Mesh, Fiberglass Screening, No-See-Um Mosquito Netting, Leno Mesh, Medium Polyester Mesh, Trampoline Mesh, Phifertex and Phifertex Plus.

2 of 2 – Clothing Mesh; includes: Athletic Mesh, Sports Mesh, Mini Mesh and Power Mesh.

I would think that the first sample pack would have in it what you need. The Phifertex or Phifertex Plus seems interesting for your application.

"I don’t think it needs to be stretchy, but should be comfortable."

As far as binding the edges I think that I would use the 1" #2036 lt wt – SOFT grosgrain from Quest Outfitters.

http://questoutfitters.com/narrow_roll_goods.htm#WEBBING-%20NYLON

Scroll down about one fourth of the page. ;-)

Party On,

Newton

David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

great ideas. I ordered the sample packs

Dave

Don Meredith
    Spectator

@donmeredith

Locale: SouthEast

I'm currently using the equivalent to the dive mesh on the seattlefabrics.com website as external pockets on my Ion… bomber material.

David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Found this on e-bay for $20

I think I can mod it by cutting off the back and sewing attachment loops to my backpack.

Thanks again for all of the help. I definately will use seattle fabrics in the future.

mesh vest

Dave

Daniel Sandström
    Spectator

@sandstrom-dj

Hi.

I'm currently participating in a thing called Scandinavian UL mystery box. Short story, a packet sent around allowing people to give away unused kit, or take others unused kit. http://www.hikinginfinland.com/2010/05/scandinavian-ul-mystery-box.html

I've been planning to sew a chest pouch, yesterday though, I recieved the box. And there was a OMM Trio chest pouch, so I'll stick with that. You might want to check that out? If you need to, I can get pics too…

Daniel

Chris H
    BPL Member

@nxp

Locale: Upper Midwest

Dave –

Those FLC's are HEAVY. Really heavy for what they are. There's no back on it already, just a couple straps that go down to the lower back area – a bunch of webbing all over, and there's a dual layered velcro pocket behind the woodland camo section on the inside of the vest. Once you stripped everything off of it, including the extra hardware and inner pockets, I'd still be that thing weighed at least 12oz as the mesh is really heavy duty.

Just thought I'd warn ya!

C

David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Just in time. I'll be trying out the mods this weekend. Basically I just cut off the back and re-attached some webbing to the front so it could hang from my backpack straps. I secured it to my belt and added pouches.

Thanks Chris, yes it is heavier than it needs to be, but for now it is cheap and I am testing it for function. If I like it then I will construct one out of lighter materials. I got all of the pouches from military surplus also. I'm sure I will have more projects after this weekend.

Daniel, thanks for the link. I like some functions of the OMM trio pack, especially the fold down map. I like the attachment system also. I will tuck that away for future mods.

Thanks everyone for all of the help.

Dave

David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Trip report.

the mesh modded pack worked great. It was about 90 degrees out on a 2 day SAR and my chest did not get sweaty (or my back either – sorry, but heavy external frame pack worked perfectly)

It is a keeper, now I can work on making it lighter.

Dave

mesh chest pack

cut up military mesh pack

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools