Topic

Trekking pole quandary

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Trekking pole quandary

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

I've been searching for new trekking poles and am stumpted; hoping someone can suggest a possible solution.

I got adjustable CF poles last fall (REI women's 'Peak') to replace a pair of basic REI poles I'd had forever. I loved them. But, as the case seems to be with many twist-lock mechanisms, they started to sporadically refuse to tighten. They couldn't be repaired and REI no longer makes them. In fact, no one seems to make compact adjustable CF poles anymore, so I'm guessing there's something inherently difficult in that design/configuration.

So, here's what I'm looking for:
    – I have a Shangrila-1 Nest + MYOG tarptent that utilizes poles. Poles are on the inside so I need specific lengths — 47" and 29". My normal hiking pole length is about 43" so I need adjustable length poles.
    – I got really hooked on the light weight of CF poles. I think my old REI poles are somewhere in the 19oz range. I'd like to keep it less than 14oz.
    – I fly with my gear a couple of times a year and need the poles to break down to fit my luggage. 24" is absolute max. I'm only 5'2", so I don't need need anything longer than the 47" I need for my tarptent.

Any ideas? The obvious brand name poles I've found are the Black Diamonds. Their basic compact trail poles are OK except that they're a little heavier. Their Z-poles are great but doesn't work with my tarptent. They do have a slightly adjustable Z-pole but wouldn't work for the shorter tent pole.

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Locale: Georgia
    Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

>> Gossamer Gear LT4's?

I've considered those but they don't break down short enough to pack for flying. I think the min length is something like 29-30".

carl becker
    Spectator

@carlbecker

Locale: Northern Virginia

I have a set of LT4 poles. I seperate them to carry in a 62" airline spec suitcase when I fly somewhere to hike. I send them home with my small tripod by mail when my family takes the suitcase home early in a trip. Great poles and I use them with my Sublite and Solomid.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

The Titanium Goat AGP's are a little shorter than the GG LT4's and of equal quality IMO. They're close to the length you mentioned (on the short end 30.5" on my tape measure) and will extend to 47 inches.

I posted this a few weeks ago which actually addresses all four of the poles you mentioned here…

http://hikeitlikeit.com/2011/trekking-pole-review/

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Jacob, thanks for the review link. Pretty much reiterates my thoughts. I know I sound stubborn but a 30+" (collapsed) pole just isn't going to work for me. It means having to buy new (and bigger) luggage when I already have a travel system that I'm happy with. And I'm not willing to add any special logistics like shipping them home separately.

Plus, I sometimes only use the poles on part of the hike and will strap them to my pack. At 30+", they'll be pretty unwieldy and stick out a good 6-8" beyond my back.

I wish they made the LT4 or the Goats in a 3-section design even if it weighed a little more. At this point, I'm sorry I was talked into returning the Peaks; I should have been more stubborn about trying to fix them.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Maybe these:

http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_homepage.nsf/0/7E08FE700EE10A70C125756E00268964?opendocument

Aluminum, but only 6.52 oz per pole, and I'm guessing that's with the basket and straps. Packed length = 22"

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Sumi, doesn't sound stubborn to me. I don't blame you at all for wanting something that will work with your current travel set. The Exped poles that Steven linked look interesting, and still fairly light.

I wonder if the the Ti Goats would be difficult to modify for your needs; I'm thinking trimming a couple of inches off the grip end. You might even be able to get them without grips and/or trimmed to length directly from Ti Goat (couldn't hurt to ask). That would also have the benefit of making the poles even lighter :)

Lastly, and you've probably considered it already, can the poles be situated on the diagonal inside your travel bag so they fit better?

carl becker
    Spectator

@carlbecker

Locale: Northern Virginia

you might be able to modify either brand of pole depending on the total length starting and required. A dremel tool with a cut off wheel is preferred over a saw which splits the fibers. Taping the cut area before hand can also help. I purchased a suitcase after I purchased the LT4's. I only mail back if our party splits up. If you hike with 43" poles you could add a extender for the four inches extra needed. Probably a bit much to do but light poles are great.

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Sumi,

This might work…

poles

For more info go to: http://caseyandemily.com/Backpack/2006/2006_10_Poles/Poles.htm

Mark Dijkstra

@markacd

You should consider Fizan Compact poles. They might be just what you're looking for. I've posted a little (p)review of them on this forum.

jim jessop

@luckyjim

+1 on the Fizans

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

I also would like a pole that would be easy to put in my backpack and not hit every tree that I walk under. I have a practically brand-new set of the TiGoat poles, but I only regularly carry one of them. The other is unused because I don't want to pack it in my BP.

If you purchase the Expeds, I'd be glad to trade you my unused TiGoat pole for one of the Expeds. That way, we'd both have the best of both worlds in terms of light weight and packability!

Stargazer

Kevin Cody

@codycolor2

Locale: Los Padres NF

If you have contacts in Japan has some carbon fiber 4 piece trekking poles. I saw them the ADZPCTKO. The rep in America had them and they compacted to your desired length if not smaller. I don't believe this link is them but same concept http://www.evernew.jp/product/Search.aspx?ID=2

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Thanks for all of your ideas. The Fizans and the Expeds are intriguing but I'm a little gun-shy about tention/twist locks now that I've had a pair with a problem.

I decided (at least for now) to order a pair of the BD Distance poles. I was surprised how light the cheaper aluminum versions are (helps to be short here!) and you can't argue with the price. I think I can make it work for the front of my tarp and a separate back pole should only cost me an ounce or so.

@Stargazer
    — thanks for the offer but I hike with two poles, so having one that won't fit in my luggage won't help. ;) It would also probably be really annoying to hike with non-matching poles, not in terms of esthetics but for weight, grip, etc.

Brian Dickens

@briand

Locale: Colorado

Keep your eyes peeled for a used pair of Leki Makalu Ultralight Titanium.

8 oz each, <24", STRONG and twist lock is bullet proof and servicable.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools