Topic

Gunnison, CO Trip Suggestions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Gunnison, CO Trip Suggestions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Derek Pankratz
    Spectator

@d_manty

Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for trips in the Gunnison area of Colorado. I plan on starting at the end of this week (24 June) and have roughly a week to work with. Looking for ~100 miles. The original plan was to hike the CDT north from Monarch Pass, ending around Leadville, but I'm now thinking the snowpack might be more than I want to deal with. So, any thoughts would be welcome on:

a) Current conditions on the CDT or Colorado Trail from Monarch Pass/Hwy 50 north, or

b) Alternative routes in the greater Gunnison area that might be less snowbound.

All info welcome. Thanks,

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Try asking this on either the CT or CDT forums at http://Trailforums.com

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)

Instead of going toward leadville go south towards creede. The snowpack is not bad south and east of lake city, I was over there last weekend.

It is very noticeable, where snow pack starts to get bad which is generally more north and west. You could probably do OK in the weminuche as well

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools