Topic

Heavily revised JMT gear list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Heavily revised JMT gear list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Erik Dietz
    BPL Member

@erikdtz

I previously posted my JMT gear list and have since changed quite a few things, mostly due to everyone's great advice. However, I'm sure there is still more for me to learn (and leave behind) so I'd appreciate any feedback.

Clothes:
    Windshirt 3.5oz
    Running socks 1.7oz
    Long underwear 5.14oz
    Nano Puff 9.5oz
    Rain Jacket 4.5oz
    Qiviut Beanie 1oz (my Mom knit this for me, pretty stoked)

Total=25.34 oz

First Aid/Survival=2.65 oz

Toiletries:
    toothbrush .10 oz
    sanitizer .89 oz
    deet 1.13 oz
    sunscreen 1.52 oz
    TP 1.38 oz (not into the rocks idea)
    Bodyglide .5 oz
    Ziploc bag .1 oz

Total Toiletries=5.62 oz

Aqua Mira Drops 3.08 oz (I need enough for my first leg, ten days)
    Evernew 1.5L bladder 1.3 oz
    prefilter .01 oz
    Gatorade bottle 1.4 oz

Total=5.79 oz

Caldera Keg w/cone, graham stand, lighter 2.76 oz
    Spoon .3 oz
    Cuben Fiber bag .2 oz
    20 Esbit tabs 10.10 oz (again, I needed enough for ten days)

Total=13.36

Misc:
    Knife .6 oz
    Mosquito net .88 oz
    Petzl headlamp w/ whistle .90 oz
    Maps 1.4 oz
    debit card/cash/car key/permit 1.2 oz
    Camera w/ extra battery 5.5 oz
    Cuben Fiber Dry Bag (for my sleeping bag and clothes) 1.2 oz

Total Misc=11.68 oz

Sleeping Bag 23 oz
    GG Sleeping Pad 4.2 oz

Total Sleeping=27.2 oz

Bearikade Weekender 31 oz
    Tarptent Sublite 18.54 oz
    Tent Poles 5 oz (still debating whether I should just bring trekking poles, at the very least for the swollen stream crossings and possible snow on the higher passes)
    ULA Circuit 34 oz (trimmed)

Overall Total=180.18 oz/11.26 lbs

Thanks everyone!

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Nice list!
    ++++++++++++++++

NOTE

I would add a tiny bottle of SOAP to the Toiletries list. SOAP is part of the first aid kit, it is far superior to hand-sanitizer. Less than an ounce is plenty.

TP 1.38 oz (not into the rocks idea)

Easily nixed.

Aqua Mira Drops 3.08 oz (I need enough for my first leg, ten days)

I would advocate a tiny PRE-mix bottle added to this, it will save a LOT of time during the day.

Tarptent Sublite 18.54 oz

This is a really nice shelter. The weight of a tarp and bivy combo is just a few ounces less than this set up. Alas, it require poles, but if you take trekking poles, that's solved.

Erik Sund

@sundek

…I'd bring a spare pair of socks.

Ken K

@thefatboy

Locale: St. Louis

Stash the car key somewhere on the car to save half an ounce. See if your bank has a mini-debit card to save 3 grams (downside is that it doesn't work in ATMs, but works fine at retail establishments). With the long underwear, is the bodyglide really necessary (honestly, I don't know – I've never used the stuff, but my days usually top out at 10 miles).

Any way to reprint the maps or cut down the edges?

I'm curious what type of pre-filter you have and what the model is on the Petzl headlamp.

For that small/light of a load, there are other packs that could save you another 12 – 16 ounces, but if it's what you like, pack comfort is worth the weight in my opinion.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Mike, I love your dedication to a TP free society!

I ape Ken. You could use a lighter pack but sometimes comfort trumps pure weight.

I too am interested in your prefilter…I'm thinking something along the lines of coffee filter?

What time are you hiking? Also with this year's snowfall in the west (not sure about the Sierras) there's a good probability of snow and higher than usual streams so the trekking poles are probably a good idea from safety point of view.

Impressive list though!

Erik Dietz
    BPL Member

@erikdtz

Mike: I have a little bottle of soap that I had previously taken out but what you said makes a lot of sense, so I swapped it for my hand sanitizer. I do have a small pre-mix bottle for the AquaMira (I just forgot to mention it) and I got the idea from one of your previous posts.

Erik: the socks I have listed are an extra pair but I don't have a third pair just for sleeping, if that's what you meant.

Ken: Great idea about the stashing the car key and the mini debit card! I'm going to look into that tomorrow. The long underwear is mostly intended for when I'm sleeping but I plan on using them for cold days (if needed). I like to hike with running shorts and no briefs but I occasionally get bad chafing and the bodyglide works like a charm. I use the Petzl e+lite headlamp which I trimmed down a little, making it almost exactly an ounce. It also has a small whistle on the headband. For my pre-filter, I cut a small piece of tightly woven mesh that fits around the head of my bottle, which I hold in place with a small loop made out of some sort of stretchy material. I keep the loop tied to my bottle all the time and the mesh square in my hip belt. It's just to filter out all the floaties since I'm using drops instead of an actual filter.
    Also, I'd noticed that the paper used for my maps is pretty heavy (I'm assuming it's to make it somewhat waterproof?) and thought about making copies to save some weight. I'll give it a try at work tomorrow (awesome copy machine) and see how it turns out.

Thanks again for the continued help!

Erik Dietz
    BPL Member

@erikdtz

Dustin: I tried the coffee filter idea, but I had a hard time holding it or making it stay on the opening in a way that was efficient enough for it to work. Then again, I'm using a narrow mouthed bottle so if you have a wide mouth nalgene canteen or gatorade bottle maybe it would work better. The little mesh square that I'm using stays on well and to be honest, I'm not that worried about it. I used it mainly to get the super obvious "floaters." Let me know what you figure out though.

Erik Dietz
    BPL Member

@erikdtz

Hey John,

http://www.antigravitygear.com/antigravitygear-ultralight-rain-jacket.html

I've used it on two, three-day trips now and it's worked very well.

Bradley Attaway

@attaboybrad

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm nearly certain it will work and only add a few grams to what I usually bring:

Cut a small corner off a plastic freezer bag (could use smaller, but then it would be less effective at scooping water to be filtered.

Into the cut off corner of that freezer bag I intend to wad my mosquito headnet and/or the camp towel I bring in place of a bandana (why do so many people insist on a cotton bandana when a lighter, more absorbent square of technical fabric is available?)for two stages of filtration (headnet for the big floaties and camp towel for whatever makes it through the headnet).

grip the makeshift filter from outside the bag to hold it in place, and use the other hand to hold the top of the bag open.

Scoop water from wherever, let said water drain through the filter into its final container, and treat the now theoretically much cleaner water as preferred (My Steripen is my guilty 3 oz).

Whether you bring a headnet/bandana/towel or not, There's probably something you could wad into the corner of a plastic bag to make an effective pre-filter at only the added weight of the plastic bag.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools