Topic

A 2.5 Oz. Ultralight Fishing Net

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara A 2.5 Oz. Ultralight Fishing Net

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

For those who want to bring a fishing net while backpacking, I just got the Traillite Designs titanium nets in stock:

http://www.backpackflyfishing.com/store/index.php/traillite-designs-ultralight-tenkara-fly-fishing-net.html

They weight in at only 2.5 oz. and because they're flat and compact, they pack easily into any backpack.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

In all the years I've fished, I've never used a net!

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

I've fished with a net and without. Caught plenty of fish both ways.

In general, nets are most useful in two situations: When the fish is big enough that it's pushing the limits of your tackle, especially your line strength; when you are fishing catch-and-release.

With catch-and-release the right net helps to avoid injuring the fish (no tight-fisted squeezes) while unhooking and releasing.

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Stephen,

Good points. In general, I think using a net on even smaller fish is just a better catch & release practice. I can keep the fish in the water so they can breathe after their battle while I get my camera out to take a picture. Holding a fish out of water after they've just run the equivalet of a marathon and are gasping for oxygen is just torture. And, often" I can remove the hook without touching the fish so I don't remove any of their protective slime.

More and more, I'm convinced that bringing a net is a good idea. It's also a multipurpose item that doubles as a nymph net so you can see what the trout are eating. I've even successfully used it to catch adult mayflies and caddis mid-air so I could inspect them up close. Pretty nice!

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

These nets with the very small mesh are indeed great for sampling bugs in the stream! And if one of my granddaughters was along, she'd likely want to use it to catch butterflies! (I actually encourage her interest in butterflies, but we don't catch any!)

These days I hardly ever fish without a net – the main exception being while backpacking! Too heavy – until now! I saw them on Chris' site first (sorry, Jason!), and can hardly wait until it arrives!

Ebira, Trico, and Ti Net – what a great combo!

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Hi Stephen,

No problem. Chris carries the tenkara style nets with the angled hoop. I carry the straight "Western" version which is meant for easier packing while backpacking. They're 2 different versions of the same great design. Let us know how you like it!

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

I enjoyed Chris Stewarts (www.tenkarabum.com) review comment regarding carrying a net when backpacking;

"These are probably the lightest nets you'll ever find and make it much more reasonable for even ultralight backpackers to take a net. I know for a fact that I have lost fish, nice fish, from not having a net with me. If I was back-packing and counting on (or even hoping for) fish for dinner, I'd bring a net."

Thom
    TrailLite Designs

Craig
    BPL Member

@skeets

Locale: Australia

I agree with Jason on the C&R aspects. My views are: with a de-barbed hook and net I often catch and release a fish very quickly (under 20 secs when tenkara or czech nymphing with 6X or 7X) once within reach. if catching by hand, you need to tire the fish out much longer to avoid a breakage or grab them while still feisty, which risks damage. taking them to shore to breach them is longer still and often damages them on rocks or knocks their slime off. This is often even more exacerbated by a tenkara rod (or very light 6x-7x tippet on western rig), due to the need to really tire a fish instead of grabbing it in a net early on. further, a net allows you to remove a hook without even touching the fish, and when ready they swim off much stronger (normally with a dart, rather than the slow wander that is common from the hand helds (esp for photos).

Craig

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools