Topic

60 gram primaloft jacket warmth?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 60 gram primaloft jacket warmth?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Gabe Joyes

@gabe_joyes

Locale: Lander, WY

Has anybody used a a 60 gram primaloft jacket like the Rab Xenon, Patagonia Nanopuff, or Arc'teryx Atom LT? I'm looking at using one primarily as a camp jacket, making meals, etc. At roughly what temperature would it be warm with a light base layer underneath and a rainshell on top?

Just to prevent the inevitable… Yes, I know down is warmer for its weight. Yes I know everyone has different metabolic rates, etc. I'm just looking for some rough estimates and experiences from people who have actually used these jackets!

Thanks!

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

not much lower than 40F or so with my atom lt … for basic camp chores

patrick walsh

@apbt1976

I wore a 60 gram Wild Things belay jacket all last winter for climbing ice, general winter hiking and casual wear. It was my most used piece of gear all winter tbh. My Montane North Star jacket, EB Peak XV and all my fleece sat in the bottom of my pack or in the closet.

Imop it is a perfect piece of gear. I could wear it on a cold cold day like zero % plus a stiff wind chill with just a R1 under exposed on the side of a mountain or i could wear it much warmer weather at belay or while eating lunch. Point is i would say with a light mid layer this jacket can take you down to very cold temp. With just a Cap 1 it the perfect jacket to throw on while doing camp chores below say 50% above that and i would roast.

nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

200 weight fleece – its really a fleece replacement IMO.
    Lighter, but a shorter service life too.

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

I've had my Nano pullover down to 28-30 while stationary. I wore it over my wind shirt and lightweight l/s cap shirt with gloves and a hat. It was adequate but I wouldn't want to go lower than that.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Nano Puff Hoody- 32-40F at the low end, stationary or light mulling about around camp, worn over a light merino wool baselayer.

That's about it.

Gabe Joyes

@gabe_joyes

Locale: Lander, WY

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the information. Anyone else's opinion would be great!

Carl Holt

@sundown

I have a GoLite Cady jacket that has thinsulate insulation that appears to be similar to the ones you propose. I use it all the time (warm and cold environments). I used it down into the 30s (stationary) by itself over a base layer as well as under my eVent shell. It is warmer than the fleece it replaced and I find it nearly as warm as my NF Redpoint primaloft jacket (up to this point my absolute favorite piece of gear ever).

I scored the Cady for $60 at a sale price earlier this year and it was worth every penny.

I wouldn't want to sit out in a blizzard with it but it remains a very good / versatile piece of gear.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools