Topic

Cuben Lightheart Solo – some pics

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Cuben Lightheart Solo – some pics

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Finally set up my cuben Lightheart Solo in my yard. I've got to get it out on a trip to see how much I like it. But it looks like a winner. Easy and fairly quick to set up, great ventilation. I like being able to roll back both sides of the door to make it into a de facto bug tent. I got the awning, which pretty much always leaves one side of the tent with good ventilation and nice views. Of course, after I went back and looked at the Lightheart site, I see I set up the awning incorrectly (the pole should be angled back to the shelter, not straight up and down like I have it, but it worked my way just fine and was plenty taut).

My large Neoair just fits, with the corners touching the sides on the inside. I don't see this as an issue. When lying down on the inflated pad inside the Solo, my head, resting on my arm, is about 6" from the netting on the inside. Overall, seems like a nice piece of kit. After I get it out in the woods I'll have to choose between this and my Cricket. No use in keeping both of them.

Some pics:

.ls

.ls1

.ls2

.ls3

.ls4

David Ure

@familyguy

Very nice Doug. Indeed.

Dave Jenkins
    Spectator

@jinx667

Locale: NC

That is very nice.

John Devitt
    BPL Member

@cabana

Locale: Colorado

Very nice indeed Doug. but why did you have to post these 1.5 weeks before my CT hike?! LOL
    REgards,
    John

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Question: Can the awning be closed down in the event of a strong storm? Seems an open invitation to swirling winds and rain!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

It closes down somewhat, but not completely. See pic here.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

I guess you need to carry at least three poles for this one to work?

I'm curious what the extra guyline loop is for along the bottom of the window netting.

Which would say is better in a storm, the Solo or the Cricket? Seem to me the Cricket sets up much more drum tight.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"I guess you need to carry at least three poles for this one to work? "

Yeah, or use a stick for the awning (which are plentiful where I generally backpack).

"I'm curious what the extra guyline loop is for along the bottom of the window netting."

So you can pull the side out a bit. See pic here. I didn't really see a need for it when I set it up though.

"Which would say is better in a storm, the Solo or the Cricket? Seem to me the Cricket sets up much more drum tight."

Couldn't say as I haven't had either in a storm. They both set up pretty tight. Realize, I bought the awning version. The regular Lightheart Solo has a more traditional 'fly' that would work much better in a storm, as seen here.

Marc Penansky
    BPL Member

@marcpen

Locale: Western NC

This is Judy – the Awning actually closes up better than shown in the picture on the website. I am now making the awning a bit larger than shown, and the tieouts to close it have been moved so it closes down tighter now giving more protection. Photos will be updated when i can manage it! :-)
    Judy – LightHeart Gear

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Sweetness. Nice score Doug. Nice work Judy :)

Heather Hohnholz
    BPL Member

@hawke

Here's some pics of my Solo Cuben/Sil floor, non-awning version, if anyone is interested.

https://picasaweb.google.com/103398617557793611206/Tent?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMDrxIjqu_u2vAE&feat=directlink

Brittain Briber

@brittbriber

Hi Doug –
    Have you had a chance to weight your lightheart solo cuben? I am seriously considering one with an awning but would like to have a better idea of the weight before I buy. Also, did you get the 0.5 or 0.74oz/yard cuben fiber fabric for the canopy? What weight did you get for the floor?

Cheers

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools