Topic

Steripen Opti Batteries

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Steripen Opti Batteries

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Locale: Southwest Ohio

Hey Steripen users. Does anyone know if the Steripen will operate safely on Tenergy RCR123A LiFePO4 batteries? I tried it once and it worked but then I remembered that the operating voltage for them is 3-3.7v. They run high on a fresh charge 3.7v but more like 3.4v under load. I don't want to blow up my Steripen. I sent an inquery to the vendor but haven't received a reply.

The reason I would like to push using these batteries is because I have a bunch of them. I don't know if the Steripen has a voltage regulator, and if it does, can it handle a potential 7.4v instead of the required 6v?

Also, a bonus question on the same topic:
    Do all the Zebra lights have a voltage regulator? The H501 says "Battery: One AA size alkaline, 1.5v lithium primary, NiMH rechargeable, or 3.7v 14500 Li-ion rechargeable."

But that is the "AA" model. I wonder if the H31 models use the same voltage regulators so I can use my RCR123A rechargeables. Some lights, like some surefire, are direct drive and cannot handle the LiFePO4 batteries.

I know this is in the deep in the technical weeds. Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge or experience with these power cells and devices.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I used Tenergy RCR123A Li-ion rechargeable batteries in mine

My problem is they didn't work very good

They'de work for a few liters, then fail. I put in a different two and it worked for a while and then failed again.

Switched to non rechargeable Energizer and so far so good but I haven't used it much

So, if that's the battery you're talking about, yeah, they work in that they don't damage the unit or anything

Take extra in case they fail

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

"So, if that's the battery you're talking about…" Nope, thanks for the input anyhow Jerry. It's also good to know about the Li-ion rechargeables before I go buying them. Anyone else report problems with the Tenergy Li-ion rechargeables?

what I have is Tenergy LiFePO4 RCR123A rechargeables. They are a different chemistry than Li-ion. The advantage of LiFePO4 is the increased charge cycle life and high rate drain capability. For high drain devices like the Steripen, camera flashes, etc, they would be ideal, I just don't know if they are harmfull to the device.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi Daniel,

Do these differ from the RCR123s Steripen sells with their solar charging kit? If they have internal protection I'd think they'd be okay, but you'll probably want to contact them directly. Historically they've been pretty responsive to technical queries.

http://www.steripen.com/-adventurer-opti-solar-charger

Cheers,

Rick

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

"Do these differ from the RCR123s Steripen sells with their solar charging kit? "

Rick,
    I didn't get that kit and that link does not describe the battery chemistry in their included rechargeable.

I looked all over their site this week and saw no refernece to recommended battery types. The user guide mentions rechargeable CR123’s multiple times but mentions no specifics.

Though on a funny note this helpful tip is in the guide: "Do not insert into bodily orifices." huhu. Sorry sterilizing the inside of your bunghole is not recommended. This also means you can't run it inside your mouth instead of brushing your teeth on the trail.

Anyhow, hopefully I get a reply to my inquery with the manyfacturer. If I do, I'll post it.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi Daniel,

The Steripen site leaves something to be desired, detailed infowise. Roger C. has tons of Steripen experience and knows battery tech, so he might be able to chime in. I believe he tested the charger and battery combo at some point. Hopefully they'll get back to you.

As to the orifice question, I'm almost positive they mean noses.

Cheers,

Rick

Mark Fowler
    BPL Member

@kramrelwof

Locale: Namadgi

I asked Steripen a year ago whether my Adventurer (not opti) could take 3.6/3.7v CR123 rechargables. The response was:

"With the lamp pointed at the ceiling, look at the yellow stripe.

If you see:
    Push once for 1L
    Push twice for 0.5L

Then please use which either.

If you see:
    Push twice for 0.5L
    Push once for 1L

Then please use only 3.0 volt cells."

So older ones cannot use 3.6/3.7v rechargables, newer ones can. Happily mine is a newer one.

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

GREAT post. Thanks very much!

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Mark,
    That's great info. So just to clarify:

Push once for 1L
    Push twice for 0.5L

Models are a "GO" for 3.7v RCR123A batteries?

This is the one I have! Good news for me, I have at least 5 sets of those batteries already. Now If I can confirm the voltage regulator on the Zebralight all my electronics will be compatible with the same power cells.

Steripen has not replied to me yet but I will post when they do.

Thanks Mark.

Simon Wurster
    BPL Member

@einstein

Locale: Big Apple

SteriPen: I use the light-blue Tenergy 900 mAh 3.0V Li-Ion batteries, which are about 3.4V off the charger, IIRC.

Zebralight (H30): I use black-and-silver AW 750 mAh 3.7V Li-Ion batteries, which are about 4.2V off the charger, IIRC.

Off the charger voltage drops with use, but the device must be able to handle the higher voltage.

I've never had any trouble with these battery-device combinations, but I never mix and match the two types in these devices, nor in the chargers.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Does anyone know if the Steripen will operate … on Tenergy RCR123A LiFePO4 batteries?

Basically, NO.

These batteries seem to be rated at <550 mA discharge. I can confirm that this is NOT enough to drive a Steripen, as it normally pulls of the order of 1000 mA, especially at start-up.

The output voltage at no-load does not matter (I think) as it will immediately fall well below 7.4 V. But I might be wrong there.

You may get a couple of litres out of a cell, then it will die.
    It's another case of You Get What You Pay For.

Cheers

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Thanks Roger, that's good to know. So what Brand/chemistry do you recommend? Protected/unprotected? You are right the LiFePO4 chemistry gives a discharge rate of 550ma at best.

UltraFire has a Li-ion I see at lighthound.com for $5.99 a cell and the AW is $6.99.

The Manufacturer replied to me and suggested a Li-ion made by AW. I wonder if those work in my LiFePO4 charger.

I'm not sure what you mean by "You Get What You Pay For" in this context. Are you referring to LiFePO4 verses Li-ion? They are about the same price give or take a dollar.

I went with the LiFePO4 because of the 1000 charge cycles verses half that for Li-ion. I cycle through 3 sets a day on another device, so it made sense to get the longer life batteries.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Half as much capacity with rechargeable vs non-rechargeable – you need to carry twice as many spare batteries.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Daniel

We do have thorough reviews of both the Steripen Adventurer and the Steripen Adventurer Opti here at BPL. I present an extensive study of the batteries which do work and do not work in the first review, along with WHY.

But to summarise: the BLUE Tenergy RCR123A rechargables do work. They are listed on the Tenergy website at http://www.tenergybattery.com as "Tenergy Li-Ion RCR123A 3.0V 900mAh (Item Number: 30201)". Other rechargeable RCR123 batteries do not have the current capacity and do not work, even if they are cheaper. YGWYPF.

There are also many non-rechargeable CR123 batteries available. By and large, the cheaper ones available over the web do not have the current capacity either, and they fail. YGWYPF once again. The good (=expensive) brand name batteries like Panasonic, Kodak (photo) etc do have the current capacity and do work very well. I have been using two Panasonic batteries for over a year now. OK, I don't treat all that much water in practice, but the cost is negligible when amortised over that length of time.

I have tested some LiFePO4 batteries in a Steripen – the Tenergy Li-Ion RCR123A 3.0V 750mAh LiFePO4 Rechargeable Battery (Item Number: 30200). They do NOT work. Note however they are designed to have an output of 3.0 V, not 3.7 V. For other brands you would need to check with the company. But since you can get the right batteries fairly easily, I suggest that using the right ones is smarter.

Cheers

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

OK Roger,
    Thanks for the sage wise input. I'll be getting some good Li-ion rechargeables, likely the AW brand that the manufactuer recommended. I just dislike the "you get what you pay for" euphemism because it's not always true. Sometimes you pay for what you don't get. It seems you have straightened me out on this particular issue and I appreciate your input.

Still, I will post the conversation I am having with the vendor, when I get it, so everyone reading the thread has the whole story.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools