Topic

Strap for new Stix Pro Hiking Poles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Strap for new Stix Pro Hiking Poles

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

What would be a good weight cord to use as a keeper strap for the new Stix Pro Hiking Poles? Would one of the Spectra cords listed on BPL including the Air Core 1, Air Core 2, one of the other Spectra cords on BPL, or one of the cords listed on Gossamer Gear’s website be good choices?

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

Paul,

Thanks for the response, I will keep that in mind. You don’t find the 200 cord to be too thin and cut into your wrists?

Mark
    BPL Member

@mlarson

Locale: SoCal

I also having been using the GG LT+ poles. Generally you’ve only got about 3oz hanging from each keeper cord, which isn’t too bad. I haven’t had any problems with short-term dangling. The thin-ness also helps keep you from putting too much load on the poles. If you were worried about the thin cord, you could always upgrade to elastic cords or bands, which would offer a little more give and wouldn’t strain too much. But really, I’ve found it’s a non-issue.

Tim W

@watters

The stix look tempting but I do not understand how they work without a good strap. I slide my hands up through the straps on my Lekis and use the straps to bear some of the load as I push down on them. I hardly use the grips at all. Isn’t this how the poles transfer some of the weight from legs (and knees) to arms and shoulders? Shouldn’t the straps bear most (or all) of the impact?

Am I missing something?

Mike Storesund

@mikes-1

I too slip my hand up through the strap then grab the strap and pole. I use the strap to assist in weight transfer to the pole so I do not have to hold the pole as tight. I find if I grip the pole too tight for extended periods, my carpal tunnel starts to act up.

Anonymous

Straps are the key to using poles to their best advantage. You are correct in having a very light grip on the pole & utilizing the straps to ‘push off on’. Properly used for the first time, pole users will notice their arm muscles (not hands) getting sore after a day or so. This is normal–as your arms are now doing some of the work previously done by ankles, knees & hips. As your arms get stronger, you likely won’t want to hike without the poles again.

Mark
    BPL Member

@mlarson

Locale: SoCal

I’ve never felt the need for straps, and don’t use them. [on GG LT+ model]
    When on flat ground, if I’m really bearing down on strapped poles, then I basically end up pushing myself too fast. I end up walking at something like 5-7mph, which is just too quick to sustain comfortably. On flat ground, the light touch of strapless is all I need, just to add a little extra kick.
    On the uphill, I’ll need to bear down a bit more. Straps may come in handy on tremendously sustained climbs, but this is occasional.
    On the downhill, I’m typically palming the top of pole, sending the force as directly through the shaft as possible. Also lets my wrist flatten and relax a bit.
    For emergency balancing, I’m typically doing a reflex squeeze anyway, and a couple times I’ve been glad not to have anything around my palm.
    I usually don’t notice any hand fatigue until late in the day, say 15-20 miles in. It’s just another part of your body to condition, I’ve never noticed any soreness to linger into the next day.
    I also like that I can move my hands around the poles freely. I can switch positions, hold the grips “backwards” or “sideways” or whatever suits my interest.
    -Mark

Jeremy McDaniel

@jerm409

Locale: highest privy in the lower 48

Any thoughts on the durablity of the Stix being used everyday for 5 months on a AT Thru Hike??

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools