Topic

Can Easton stakes hold up to heat?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Can Easton stakes hold up to heat?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Sean Griffin

@griffins

I recently decided on certain trips I would like to do more cooking. I was also recently gifted this:Vargo

Setting a pan on top of this stove places it too close to the fire. So, I'd like to raise it a bit but the hexagon shape complicates DIY solutions.

My other solution is to purchase four 8" Easton stakes that I could use as a riser so to speak. However, I am unsure how they would hold up against the heat (somewhat non-direct) of a wood burning stove.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

you cant just make the fire smaller???

brent driggers
    BPL Member

@cadyak

Locale: southwest georgia

the aluminum wont take the heat for long. try titanium.

Aaron Benson

@aaronmb

Locale: Central Valley California

The Vargo Hexagon stove works great as it is; size your firewood so it sits at an angle, level with the top but not above (touching the pan).

If you're intent on using stakes, opt for titanium.

Jeff Wright

@abhiker

Locale: ...

I have some easton stakes and I believe the heat would cause problems. It seams like the heads my be glued on. The aluminum would probably hold up as long as they are supporting the weight through their length (i.e. standing up).

I also recently received this stove as a gift and I know what you mean about the distance to the fire. I can get it to boil a couple of cups of water when sitting on the stove without too much difficulty. I noticed that when the water reaches a boil I can lift the pot slightly off the stove (approx 1/2 to 1 inch) and make the water instantly boil much more vigorously. Obviously there is a sweet spot just above the stove. I have a bail on the pot that I am using and have considered suspending it from a tripod of sticks or in some other fashion to test it out.

On a side note I have found that once I have the stove burning hot I can consistently get a rolling boil in 10 minutes flat. Not that this is with pieces of dry cedar building shims that I have cut down. What has your experience been?

Joe Raman

@joeraman

Its informative one provides a lots of data over topicalso give some more information related to topic.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools