Topic

Did I find a lighter, cheaper alternative to the GG Thinlight Insulation Pad 1/8″ ???

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Did I find a lighter, cheaper alternative to the GG Thinlight Insulation Pad 1/8″ ???

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Locale: Stamford, CT

I'm asking because I've never seen or used one:
    http://gossamergear.com/sleeping/1-8.html

I have no idea what they feel like, how cushy, how much insulation or how durable they area. I'd like your opinion about the following, to compare and contrast….

When I put my floor in, I had extra underlayment. Specifically Quick Step Combi Floor Plus:
    "This unique, three-in-one underlayment offers improved sound-absorption, moisture protection and embossed self-leveling."
    http://www.mjflooring.com/products/laminate/quick-step/

I squared it off by eye and came out with this piece:
    I43

The GG Thinlight 1/8 specs are:
    19 3/8in x 59 1/8in x 1/8in
    high end weight: 92g

The Underlayment piece specs are:
    61in x 26in x 1/8in
    measured weight: 106g

By my calculations…

GG:
    0.080310986 grams per sq in

Underlayment:
    0.069508197 grams per sq in

Can someone check my math? Also, anyone that has used the GG piece and handled underlayment, can you compare?

When laying on my hard, hard, laminate floor with this stuff under my back, it actually makes a noticeable difference. *shrugs*

Thanks!

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

Your numbers seem correct. The floor underlayment foam sheet is LDPE foam with a plastic film facing. It's very light, but it has about 1/4 the insulation value of the Evazote (EVA) foam that the GG thinlights are made from.

The Evazote foam has an R-value of about 3.9 per inch, or roughly 0.5 for the 1/8" thickness, whereas LDPE foam has an R-value of about 1 per inch, or 0.125 for a 1/8" thickness. The cells in the LDPE foam are much larger and less numerous than those in the Evazote.

You may be familiar with Insultex. It's a material used by some UL hammockers for MYOG underquilts. It has a bit of a cult following. It's just LDPE foam sheet, like the floor underlayment, but with nonwoven polypropylene scrim on both sides instead of a plastic film face. The company that markets insultex makes a lot of outlandish claims about it's performance as insulation.

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Locale: Stamford, CT

Thanks for the info Colin.

Perhaps then the underlayment would only be suitable for a warmer season or two if someone wanted to realize the weight savings.

By my calculations, I'd save 15.83734211g/0.56oz with the underlayment (assuming you own one of GG pads on the heavier side.)

I have heard of insultex…my buddies use it in their hammocks. I'll have to ask them their thoughts.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Colin,

My googling suggests a higher R value for the underlayment, given the R value of this comparable(?) underlayment:

foam underlayment

Wouldn't the R value per inch of thickness be something like 4.66(1/.06" X .28R)?

Not real sure of my logic so I invite feedback/clarification.

Daryl

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Bryce,

I bought a roll of similar stuff a while back but haven't done anything with it yet. I like the looks of it.

I see some other underlayments that have mylar on one side and the foam appears to be of a finer texture.

I also recently bought a package of small foam sheets that have adhesive on one side. I figure I could stick them on things like the heat shielding tiles that are placed on the space shuttle.

I like foam.

Daryl

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools