Topic

Carbon Fiber Tent Stakes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Carbon Fiber Tent Stakes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)

I made up a batch of carbon fiber tent stakes , after doing some testing with some other CF stakes I had made up.

I tried a couple different thicknesses. Some have a titanium hook on the end, others a nylon cap. Both sets came in at 8 grams a piece for 9" long stakes.Carbon Fiber tent stakes

It is a 6" easton in the photo for comparison.

So far the testing has went well, they are easy to insert, have decent holding power, and are light. I've hammered the nylon ends with rocks and had no issues.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Nice job.

You now have a lifetime supply.

I've made some also and bought some too. I prefer the 9" length over the ones that are about 6" long. Really makes a difference on holding power, when needed, and it is also nice to have a few inches above ground for grabbing them during the removal phase.

The ones I made and the ones I bought both had trouble with the head coming loose. How are yours doing in that department? Any tips for glueing if yours are working well?

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Epoxy is what I have used so far with good luck.

I like the 9" version myself. They hold nicely, go in easy, come out easy

They are essentially the weight of a ti skewer, and perform much better

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Posted to wrong thread, but still relevant

I tested the CF stakes I had made, for initial strength by driving them into a hard gravel driveway along with a easton stake, and a ground hog. At the point the aluminum stakes started to bend, the carbon fiber stakes were still fine. I did this in several locations. I personally, feel that if the stake will perform to where a high quality aluminum stake will deform that is sufficient. I'm sure you could shatter it at some point if you really wanted to, but this point would be above the point where other high quality stakes would have already deformed. For the record, The Vargo ti stakes will deform about the same, a steel nail stake will deform at some point as well, as will a durapeg (not a popular stake around here).

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

CFstakes
    6 reasons why I no longer use carbon fiber stakes.

The CF is fine.
    It's the tips and tails that need improvement.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools