Topic

Canistor Stove Systems

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Canistor Stove Systems

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    David Ure

@familyguy

Thanks for that perspective Diana.

But what you are describing can be done with any canister stove. ; )

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

actually it was on a F and L ascent of cholatse i believe, jetbol used on the bivy … its only a 6500m peak … nor is ueli known for taking heavier stuff when something lighter will work just as well

people can carry what they want and use what "luxury" items they want

as i said i find it ironic that quite a few people disparage the jetboil … yet not too many people say anything about those down mattress, double walled tents, IF packs, water filters, etc …

weird that the american alpine institute just named their two favorite stoves as the jetboil and the reactor, andy kickpatrick highly recommends the jetboil, and im sure we can find other climbers … remember that they have to climb with every extra oz, not just hike with it

i think its crazy that people would carry a downmat for 3 season camping below the 49th parallel … but then its their choice …

colin haley using a jetboil on a ledge on cerro torre … prob the best american alpine climber today … and this is the guy who replaces the back of his steel crampons with aluminum to save weight …

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Will Rietveld wrote an excellent article comparing the trade-offs of fuel efficiency & carry weight for a number of different stoves, including the older Jetboil. In summary: for trips of up to 7 days, the older Jetboil is the second heaviest system with the heaviest being a white gas stove. You can do the math for the new version and see how it stacks up.

Here is the article: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/comparative_fuel_efficiency_and_weight_of_stoves_pt2.html

Also keep in mind that the weight of the Jetboil + fuel stays relatively constant over a long trip, but the weight of an alcohol stove + fuel rapidly decreases.

Full disclosure: I use an alcohol stove, but I also use a full-length NeoAir and sometimes forget to cut the plastic rings off my Aquafina bottles.

Andrew

Diana Vann
    BPL Member

@dianav

Locale: Wandering

True, David.

But I've used other canister stoves for kayak camping trips, including a Pocket Rocket, and they just aren't as fun to use (for me anyway–YMMV).

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> american alpine institute just named their two favorite stoves as the jetboil and the reactor

No, I can understand that. Each one can have the pot 'clipped' to the stove, and each one can run without a windshield. Both features are quite useful on a small ledge.

What concerns me about Eric's photo is the appearance that the helmet was unsecured, and could be knocked over the edge! But maybe it was on a string.

Cheers

David Ure

@familyguy

"people can carry what they want and use what "luxury" items they want"

Oh, I agree. But can you please tell me why the Jetboil is considered a
    luxury' item? It boils a litre…what…30 seconds faster than my Monatuk Gnat. How is this a luxury, given the additional weight?

The downmat, on the other hand, provides substantial warmth for winter conditions over say a closed cell foam pad. So the extra weight GETS you something.

Full Disclosure: I have a Jetboil Flash. It was given to me so I had no cash outlay. I have used it once and since then it has stayed in the closet. So even free I still can't come to terms why one would carry it when UL backpacking.

One note about the Reactor. I see merit in this beast. The pot is functionally larger and in windy conditions, it's boil times change very little. Whereas with the Jetboil, times do change noticeably. The Reactor makes sense at high exposed altitudes.

According to this review, why should I even be impressed by the Jetboil?

http://www.trailspace.com/articles/2007/01/17/integrated-canister-stove-showdown.html

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

ive already listed the reasons above …

ive tried the snow peak and other canisters and have less than impressed

plenty of people here, and more extreme users choose to use the jetboil … including 2 of the finest alpine gram counting climbers in the world… despite all the negative "propaganda" …

what you use us yr choice … its not for me to tell people what they should or should not use to cook their food

like i said i personally think its funny to use a downmat in 3 season conditions when another lighter air mattress and light foam pad will work just as well and provide more redundancy and more flexible … but its not for me to tell people that they shouldnt use one

David Ure

@familyguy

"ive already listed the reasons above …"

'Shrugs, because I cannot identify the 'luxury' of it'

J Chandler

@sccrman13

Locale: VA

I will admit that the jetboil is not the lightest out there. I was fortunate enough to get a Sol Ti for $108 on Amazon about a month ago and have not yet used it. At that price I couldn't pass it up. I had the original PCS and sold it for 61 bucks just before purchasing the Sol Ti. I was one of the original adopters of the PCS but I have also used a SP100 with an Evernew .9L pot. I don't consider it a luxury item but more of a novelty. I think the design is genius and can certainly be improved upon.

To the OP pick whatever you want since you will be the one carrying it. There is almost always a lighter solution but you should be comfortable and happy on your trips.

Just thought I would add I don't think you are going to find an AL pot for 10 bucks that is also 4 oz. I will admit I have not been searching for that but even snowpeak Ti 700 is heavier.

James Klein
    BPL Member

@jnklein21

Locale: Southeast
Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools