Topic

spectra compression straps

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear spectra compression straps

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Platt
    BPL Member

@jeremy089786

Locale: Sydney

I recently replaced the webbing compression straps on my blast with spectra cord (see below). This saves about an ounce and lets me compress the pack much further. Can anyone see a problem in doing so (extra abrasion, snagging etc)?

The 3rd and 4th pic shows shows a system I was trialling using two rings to compress it and keep it in place (suggested by Evan from Terra Rosa Gear). The last pic shows my lame attempt at replicating golite's compaktor system.

spectra 1spectra 2spectra 4spectra 3carabiners

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

I used spectra cord with tracers for my most recent pack build. I haven't gotten to use it, as I finished it yesterday, but I cannot see any problems with using it. It is very strong.

It looks like you tied the two d-rings together with spectra in your picture. If that is the case, you may want to use a taut-line hitch. That way you can adjust the compression. Slipping could be a problem, but it would also be better than having to tie a new knot each time I would suspect.

Jeremy Platt
    BPL Member

@jeremy089786

Locale: Sydney

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the tip! I will play around with it tonight (I have pretty limited knot knowledge)

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

It's a pretty simple knot. Here is a video that should help:

YouTube video

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools