Topic

Second Pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Second Pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Hello all, this is a pack that I finished today. It is made of vx21 and coated 1.9oz ripstop.Front anglesideside frontback<front extensionfront

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Weight? That's a great looking pack Michael. We have some talented sewers and pack makers around here. That extension collar looks huge! Might just be the pic though

Ryan

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

It is a large collar but I figured I could always cut it down more if I needed to. I wanted extra space for light stuff that I can keep up top in a collar if need be. A few inches in a collar made of 1.9oz per yard material I assumed would negligible in terms of weight.

Ha I know I am going to get chastised for this but I don't have a scale. I need to find one but I would assume it is not too terribly heavy.

The collar is 12" by the way.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Michael,

Very nice looking pack!

A picture is worth a thousand words but where is the text? How about a few construction details.

"It is made of vx21…"

Is that white XPAC? Where did you get your material from?

Did you use a frame sheet, stays, pad pocket or does it use a rolled pad for a virtual frame?

I think that I see some other materials in this pack like 3D mesh and maybe something else on the pack bottom. I see what looks like a seam connecting the bottom of the front pocket to the bottom of the pack. Is the bottom 1.9 oz coated ripstop also?

How about the shoulder strap padding? What did you use?

That is a good looking simple and effective compression system that you have on your pack.

Party On,

Newton

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Ha you are very correct. More words needed here.

It is black VX21 from dimension polyant. I used that for the back, the top of the shoulder straps, top of hipbelt, as well as the bottom and bottom of the front. I raised the mesh off of the ground by extending the vx21 2" onto the front of the pack to prolong the life of the mesh. I did this on the side pockets as well.

The white material is the 1.9oz ripstop. It will cut the weight down and is used in low wear areas. The mesh is lyrca. The shoulder straps are 4mm spacer mesh and VX21 with 1/4 closed cell foam. The hipbelt is the same, but without the ccf. I added "load stabalizers" (load lifters). They are easily removable as well.

I chose not to use any pad pocket or frame. I use a thermarest z-lite, so I place that in first along the back panel, then place in a compactor bag stuffed with my dry goods. With the loads that I have put in it today, I believe that the zrest transfers weight extremely well for a pad. I can really transfer a lot of the weight into my hip.

Right now, I am interested in this type of compression. It can compress at more points with much less weight. That is the benefit of using light spectra core cord and light d-rings in place of webbing and buckles.

Close up photos:StrapFront meshSide mesh

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Michael,

Nice words, nice pictures and a nice pack! ;-)

"It is black VX21 from dimension polyant."

Did you order it directly from Dimension Polyant? If so can you provide a link or an explantion of how their direct purchase system works? I've been to their website many times and cannot find the "outdoor fabrics page" or a web based purchase/shopping cart.

"Right now, I am interested in this type of compression."

Lately I've gone a different route. I've sized my pack according to a volumetric measurement and used little or no compression. I roll the pad, insert a pack liner, stuff my gear into the liner and roll it down tight. I then use my roll down style closure to "tighten up" the pack. This method has the effect of being a tightly stuffed sausage with a really tough skin. ;-)

I do have some shockcord on the front to support the items in my large mesh front pocket. My method works well in a custom sized pack for a particular load of specific gear. Your compression system would be more flexible and useful for a wider group of hikers with differing gear lists. I like it! Simple, light and effective which is what it should be.

I like the lycra pockets. They seem like they would aid compression and still be able to hold a lot of gear.

Pretty work!

Party On,

Newton

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Haha your sausage method sounds very intriguing. I like it!

I ordered direct from Dimension polyant. They have a 10 dollar cutting fee if you don't order 10 yards or more. I ended up buying ten yards.

PM me your email and I will forward you the fabric information. They are a good company to work with. They sent me a sample of all of their materials free of charge which was an added bonus.

Also, I figured I'd add this. Here is the sternum strap. Pretty simple to make. Elastic is used to add stretch so that it does not constrict when breathing, which should be always.

Strap

Christopher Zimmer
    BPL Member

@czimmer

Locale: Ohio

Great looking pack you got there, good job! Now that your hooked, what kind of pack you going to build next?????

Great job, keep up the good work!

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Ha very good question. All I know is that I will have to make one again soon. It's a great hobby. I'm hooked for sure.

Johnny Duke

@jd1987

I'm ready for my pack – family discount I'm sure right?

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Perhaps

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

I was able to find a scale. Pack weight is 15.236 ounces. 15.33 – cup and rubber bands (.077and .017 respectively).weight

robert perks

@rperks

"Did you order it directly from Dimension Polyant? If so can you provide a link or an explantion of how their direct purchase system works? I've been to their website many times and cannot find the "outdoor fabrics page" or a web based purchase/shopping cart."

Just give them a call or hit them with an email. They have firsts and seconds at fair prices, and can email you the out door materials specs. The PDF sheet they sent me last week is the same one that is floating around here in the archives.

Rob

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools