Topic

Bandana question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bandana question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Matt DeWitt

@tritan

Locale: Midwest

I seen in a gear store a Bandana that claims insect repellent in it? Anybody use these? I also have had trouble finding good Bandanas where do you guys buy yours? I first got one at a Meijer store here in Mi and it was really small I didn't know there was different sizes. I then went to a Hobble Lobby and found a great selection including camo colors bright orange and lime green but they are really thin and kind of one sided rough on the skin. I can't seem to find a good selection of them crazy isn't it. Any box stores they have them? The small ones you can't get around your head if you want to wear them.

Jennifer McFarlane
    BPL Member

@jennymcfarlane

Locale: Southern California

REI has a good selection and after they have been washed a few times they are pretty soft

Ken K

@thefatboy

Locale: St. Louis

I carry a bandana for the kitchen (dishrag, pot gripper, water pre-filter), and a bandana for everything else (hat, body washrag, towel). I wouldn't want the kitchen bandana treated. I don't know if permethrin can leach. I might end up treating the everything-else bandana, but it gets cycled between wet & dry often enough I doubt any treatment would last long.

The local Walmart has the cheap ($1.50) one-sided bandanas, but they're big enough to tie around your head as a dew rag (and great for keeping ticks out of your hair).

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

FWIW, check what the bandanna is made with. "Regular" bandannas are usually (not always) made from 100% cotton. These are the ones that absorb well and turn very soft with a few washings.

One-sided bandannas tend to be made from a cotton/synthetic blend. They do not absorb as well, nor do they get soft with washing, even many washings.

Both take the permethrin treatment, though personally, it's not something I'd do to a bandanna!

Matt DeWitt

@tritan

Are they the full cotton blend no one sided ?

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Just going from my experience – and my wife's, who loves bandannas! She could open a store!

All the really nifty one-sided print bandannas I've come across are made from cotton/poly blend. Something to do with the printing process, I think.

The old fashioned bandannas, one color with white and black paisleys and what not, have mostly been 100% cotton.

Just determine what you want – pretty printing or full function!

Ken K

@thefatboy

I just double-checked the Walmart bandana… It is printed on just one side, but it's 100% cotton.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Just be sure to check!

All the ones I've checked were poly/cotton, including some very nice National Park topo printed bandannas! Also the one with chili peppers my wife got me. And the……..

Matt DeWitt

@tritan

cool thanks . I would hope it would soften up with time compared to my hobby lobby one.

Matt DeWitt

@tritan

I also been debating about using a Buff. I don't know much about them.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

Buffs are awesome. My favorite use for them is to pull down over my eyes and nose while sleeping when nights are a little cooler (i.e., summer) but not cold enough for a full balaclava. Also like to dip in a cold stream and wear it. Basically it does everything a bandana can do but due to the tube design it functions well as a lightweight balaclava.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Hi Matt,

http://www.wowthemink.com/bandanas.html

27" x 27" for $2.50 each and they fit my size 7 and 3/4 head with no trouble.;-)

20 different colors to choose from.

In the winter I use a 100% Merino wool, extra long, Buff. It's great!

Party On,

Newton

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I find that permethrin doesn't repel bugs the way Deet can. It does kill them, but takes a few minutes after exposure. So flying bugs will still bite before they die.

Treating a bandanna with permethrin is not that effective. Treating other clothing items like socks s, shirt, pants, … IS very good for tick/Lyme prevention.

Ken K

@thefatboy

>>. 27" x 27" for $2.50 each and they fit my size 7 and 3/4 head with no trouble.;-)

Thanks for the link! The Walmart bandana is 22" (shrunk to 21", but stretches to 23"). It fits my head, but I'd like to have the slightly larger one for the non-kitchen bandana, even with the 50% weight penalty.

>> In the winter I use a 100% Merino wool, extra long, Buff. It's great!

So what is a buff? Where can you get them? This is another one of those things I can't Google from work.

Edited for spelling.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Ken,

All you ever needed to know about a Buff.

http://www.buffwear.com/pages/technical/faqs.php#question_10

I've seen them in the store at Academy Sports, online at http://www.planetbuff.com, http://www.buffwear.com and http://www.amazon.com/Buff-AC-BUFFHEADWEAR-Original-Headwear/dp/B0012017HW.

Party On,

Newton

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

I noticed long bandanas in a few of the survival shows. They extended down onto the neck and were exactly what I had been looking for. I couldn't find anything like that locally.

In an internet search, finally came upon BilliBandana which has a variety of bandanas, including the three-point, oversized ones I was looking for.

http://www.billibandana.com/

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

+1 on Buffs. Get the one with the brim (not Evo 2) and you have yourself a bandana/ hat/ balaclava/ pot-picker-upper, etc.

Stargazer

drowning in spam

@leaftye

The BilliBandana reminds me of Hulk Hogan.

Matthew Bradley

@patojo

Locale: Berkshire County

I ordered a NosiLife Scarf from Craghoppers a couple of days ago. I had never seen something like that in nylon and was intrigued. http://www.us.craghoppers.com/buy/nosilife-scarf-135852

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools