Topic

Lightest, most breathable pants?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightest, most breathable pants?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Mike Maurer

@maurer

Locale: Oregon

Frank,

Appreciate your post. I''ve been searching for good Supplex and hadn't checked Rainshed. Your post refers to 3 oz Supplex from them. Their site lists 2 ply Supplex at 2.53 oz and 3 ply Supplex at 3.54 oz. Which did you use? I'm hoping the 2 ply is tough enough for hsorts/pants/skirts.

Thanks again,

Mike

Frank Ramos

@frprovis

I used the 2 ply laundered supplex for the short and pants described above. They used to advertise as 3oz/sqyd, but I suspect it was always 2.5oz/sqyd. It is definitely lighter than the so-called "DWR supplex" at seattle fabrics. Based on my experience, as detailed above, the 2 ply laundered supplex from rain shed is plenty tough for normal hiking and backcountry use, including occasional rock climbing. If you plan to frequently slide down rock faces on your behind, then you might want to get the 3-ply fabric, or even move up to 300d cordura.

Nicholas Couis
    BPL Member

@nichoco

Hi Frank,I was reading your posts in the hiking in Europe post and find i'm doing the same type of travelling hiking.Is there any way to contact you regarding this as i will be in Europe for the summer 2007 season and will be in the USA early in the year to buy new gear as i need to get the weight and size of my gear down.I am also intrested in some of the techniques that you mentioned in the Europe posts.Also looking at making some gear but i will have to have the material shipped to Australia,Thanks.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

Hi, Mike,

The pants my lovely wife sewed for me came from the Thru-Hiker 1.1-oz breathable ripstop fabric. They are probably very similar to your chaps. They weigh ~3 oz with an elastic waist and one tiny stuff pocket sewn inside the waistband.

I really can't comment on durability, since I rarely wear them while hiking. I almost always hike in shorts (GoLite Terrain shorts), even in very cold weather, and pull the pants on when I stop or in camp. So they've held up very well, but I understand your concern about having them wear through inside the thighs. I just don't know the answer to that.

–Ken B

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

I have to laugh at my last post when I see my avatar photo — there I am wearing pants to hike. Sheesh. That's an old photo, and it was *cold* when we stopped for a break at Massey Gap near Mt Rogers, Va.

Frank Ramos

@frprovis

Nick:
    Sure, I'd be happy to answer any questions. I used to have a web site which described some of my ideas, but I've changed my mind about some of those ideas, so I'm in the process of rewriting that web site. The fact that I am in Europe in really inconsequential to the techniques I use. What is important is that, unlike most American long-distance hikers, I don't have a bounce box or other means of resupply other than what I can find in stores along the way. So I am very concerned about durability, but not if this causes me to have to lug heavy weights.

I am also very concerned about appearance, since I don't like looking and smelling like a bum. A couple I passed in the Pyrenees this summer were later refused entrance to the same hotel I was in because the man's backpack stunk so bad–they gave him some story about being closed for the summer, though of course that wasn't true given that they let me in. And yet the man was a retired doctor and I'm sure he and his wife had huge French pensions, based on their talk of a detached house in the Paris suburbs and traveling all over the world. The problem was that the man's backpack was one of those heavy framed things and so couldn't easily be washed in a sink and so it eventually got stunk up with underarm smell. I, on the other hand, had a fabric only backpack (a Golite Gust with the hipbelt chopped off and the padding in the back removed) which I could easily wash in a sink to keep the smell down. I assume the man was aware of the stink, given that he had his wife along and she didn't stink. He and his wife also had all kinds of bandanas and socks and other crap hanging off their packs–a really wretched looking spectacle. And their clothes weren't much better: running shorts (they were both past the age where anyone wants to see their legs) and big stomping boots and sweaty t-shirts. Imagine going into a nice restaurant looking like that. I was rejected from a hotel in Spain myself when I came in dripping and probably with a slight whiff of mildew after several days of walking in heavy rain. The woman owner said the place was full, but I could sense she was lying. This is what happens when you look and smell like a bum.

The big lesson I have learned over the years is that the human body can do amazing things, if we just learn to use it effectively. We don't need much food if we are out for just a few days and hence have body fat available, and we don't need much clothing while we are moving, and a man's shoulders can easily carry 20% of his body weight without a hip belt, once the muscles develop. If you get cold, just pitch a shelter and crawl under your sleep quilt or bag. I've done this at 11 in the morning at times when it was too cold for the clothing I had available. A lot simpler than lugging around extra clothing for 6 months that I only need maybe 5 times.

The human body is also quite resistant to illness if we give it time to repair itself and feed it properly. That means plenty of rest and plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. I routinely drink untreated water and seldom wash my hands before eating and yet I never got sick this past trip. I also walked in sandals with a huge open cut on the side of my foot (sandals have their drawbacks, as that huge open cut indicates) that was constantly exposed to cow manure and other dirt and never got infected–the reason is that I gave my body plenty of rest time to fight off possible infections. I estimate I spent 12 hours a day lying under my quilt, in fact. The main cause of sickness is that people stress themselves out. Watch how a working dog like a sheepdog behaves–as soon as the work is over, it lies down and takes a nap. That's why those dogs can walk barefoot in the mountains and get by on so little food and drink dirty water without getting sick.

One thing about Europe that you should know is that it is technically illegal for me to be there more than 90 days within any period of 180 days unless you have a special visa. I've been breaking this rule for years, but I have a feeling the computer systems are getting ready to catch me, so I'll probably have to start spending large amounts of time in Turkey or the Arab countries in the future, since I don't want to fly back to the United States after just 90 days. This 90 in 180 rule also applies to Australians.

As for getting material shipped to Australia, owfinc.com will do this, I believe, and they have everything you need. The supplex that I bought from rainshed is slightly lighter in weight than the owfinc version, but not enough to make much of a difference. It really isn't necessary to make your own gear to keep weight down. This site is full of information about gear and clothes you can buy that is lightweight.

Nicholas Couis
    BPL Member

@nichoco

Thanks Frank,Can you post me your current gear list, i will use that to plan my list for 2007 as i will only be in the USA for a couple of weeks to buy gear.Montbell fits me well and i like there gear.I'm looking at a down stretch bag, which one would you recommend.Also what tent , i was thinking of the Montbell Diamond.I have a small titanium gas canister stove and am looking at the small MB sleeping pad.
    Do you think Montrail Vitesse shoes or Continental Divide would be ok or should i get the Comp model.Have you hiked in Crete or Slovakia/Czech republic or Slovinia.This is where i mainly go.I also would like the gear to use for a treck to everest base camp in Nov 2007.I have the MB Thermawrap jacket and am thinking of there inner down pieces. as i find the thermawrap not warm enough by itself when i am in camp or in third world cities at night at altitude.I need an extra piece.Any thoughts of a pack and what size are you currently carrying.Did i read you used a Golite gust and what weight was it comfortable to.I noticed that the just doesn't have any wicking material on the back.This would cause lots of sweating, right.If you want i can give you my email if thats more convienient,Thanks again.

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools