Topic

Yosemite Area BPL Outings??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Yosemite Area BPL Outings??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    James Winstead
    Spectator

@james_w

Locale: CA

Hey everyone…

I'm just seeing if there is any interest in a meet-up outing or two this summer.

I had in mind something short over a weekend. Perhaps car camp Friday night so people can straggle in from work and whatnot. Then a yo-yo or short loop through Saturday night and get back home late Sunday.

Some ideas I've been interested in:

– Check out Matterhorn Peak/Hoover Wilderness ala Dharma Bums (cant fall off a mountain!). Friday night car camp at Mono Village then up somewhere Saturday night. Some cool x-country travel up Horse Creek to be had.

– Ten lakes area of Yosemite from White Wolf Lodge

– Emigrant Wilderness from Kennedy Meadows or from the west (looking at my Tom Harrison map the pine valley, or crabtree trailheads seem decent.)

I'm down for anything… Ansel Adams, Desolation, John Muir, King's Canyon, Tahoe…. the list goes on and on….and on.

To grab an arbitrary weekend how about August 19th(Fri) – 21st(Sun)?

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

James I am interested….I live near Santa Cruz and all the area you mentioned I like. I am more of a weekend warrior kind of guy due to work demands. I am a 10-12 mile a day hiker. Self sufficient and hike my own pace. Let me know if you have any ideas. Matterhorn sounds very cool. That date works for me too

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

James, there is some nice weekend loops that you can do out of the Crabtree trailhead too. Pm me

Rick Horne
    BPL Member

@rick778

Locale: NorCal - South Bay - Campbell

I am also interested.

Jennifer McFarlane
    BPL Member

@jennymcfarlane

Locale: Southern California

We are interested too

James Winstead
    Spectator

@james_w

Excellent!

I'm hoping to do a few trips like this before winter. If anyone has other weekends that work feel free to chime in. This thread is hopefully as much about a specific trip as it is about starting a discussion.

In the mean time I'm still figuring out more on the routes I mentioned. I'm particularly excited about the Matterhorn Peak idea.

Thanks guys… I'll keep posting as I figure out details.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

I'll already be in Kings Canyon (Tully Hole) that weekend doing trail work. We're off the previous and following weekends, and if it's then, I'd like join you guys.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

James if we were to get anwyhere from 5-10 people hiking, Yosemite might not work. With the quota system in place and permits scarce, a better choice would be Emmigrant Wilderness where there is no quota system as well as we do not have to use bear cannisters. There are some great loops doable on a weekend from the Crabtree trailhead……..just my two cents

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

I may be in for this trip, will have to see as it gets closer to the date

James Winstead
    Spectator

@james_w

Hey all,

Thanks for having expressed interest.

Unfortunately, my car has gone to the great parking lot in the sky, so I'm not going to be in on this one. Anyone who responded here, keep this thread going if you still want to coordinate together for this trip.

Sorry to be the party pooper.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools