Topic

aluminum 1liter pot – 4.5 oz

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) aluminum 1liter pot – 4.5 oz

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Paul Osborn

@bcoutdoors

So down here in Bolivia I've come across some various locally made aluminum thin walled pots. There's a 1 liter pot at 4.4 oz with lid and bail. I also bought a 2.5 liter pot at 7.85 oz with lid and bail.

What's the general consensus on aluminum pots like this? Toxicity studies were unclear last time I looked. I've picked up two and am thinking about using them for some group cooking this summer. I really can't beat the price right now ($2 for the 1L and about $4 for the 2.5L).

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

Years ago in Peru, there were good cheap light aluminum pots that I used hiking for a long time. They're great bargains. The alzheimer's aluminum link has been pretty much proven to not exist. Acidic foods (like tomato sauce) will pick up a metallic taste if left in these pots too long.

Mark
    BPL Member

@drshane-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: Northwest Wyoming

Some people are more sensitive to aluminum toxicity than others. As a clinician, I see this on a regular basis. From my point of view, aluminum is not worth the risk for cooking or storing food.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Healthy persons with normal kidney function have no risk of aluminum toxicity from aluminum cookware.

From emedicine.com,

"Dietary aluminum is ubiquitous but in such small quantities that it is not a significant source of concern in persons with normal elimination capacity. Urban water supplies may contain a greater concentration because water is usually treated with aluminum before becoming part of the supply…

In healthy subjects, only 0.3% of orally administered aluminum is absorbed via the GI tract and the kidneys effectively eliminate aluminum from the human body. It is only when the GI barrier is bypassed, such as intravenous infusion or in the presence of advanced renal dysfunction, that aluminum has the potential to accumulate…

Aluminum toxicity is usually found in patients with impaired renal function."

Mark
    BPL Member

@drshane-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: Northwest Wyoming

I totally get what you are saying. I have read all the science too. My comments come from the POV of a clinician and the patients I see.

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

Mark, I'm interested in your observations. Do you mean that you see a significant number of patients with elevated aluminum levels in the blood and signs of aluminum toxicity? What population do they come from? Are you a primary care physician?

I don't mean for this to sound like an interrogation. Your experiences would be a good source of information about this topic, I think.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools