Topic

pack design idea..?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear pack design idea..?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Chas Ho

@i_charles

Have never seen this before.
    Although, I am not real hip about gear so maybe it exist?
    Its a pack with storage compartment build into the straps and waist belt. Was Thinking it would reduce the main pack size but also redistribute some of the weight. As well as make more common used items more excessable?

While I am on different pack design ideas..oviously center of gravity is the major limitation.. Otherwise, has anyone ever experimented with say a hip or waist pack?

Clint Wayman
    Spectator

@cwayman1

Locale: East Tennessee, US

Hey Chas,

Your idea of redistributed load sounds alot like the AARN line of 'body packs', found at http://www.aarnpacks.com

and hip/waist/lumbar packs seem to have a fairly decent following among day-hike/ UL over-nighters. You should check out Douglas Ide's (a contributing member here) custom 'HalfPack'. A quick forum search will bring that up.

Best regards!

Chas Ho

@i_charles

The ARRN pack is interesting but isn't exactly what I had in mind. I was thinking the (2) should straps themselves would be packable and maybe the waste was sort of like a fanny pack or like a arm that went around the waste.

I see there is quite a lot of hip/waist/lumbar pack options.

Anyone know if a pack that rested on both shoulder would be practical? Would center the weight.
    Also thought of a pack that was like a vest…?

David Miles
    Spectator

@davidmiles

Locale: Eastern Sierra

I have done something similar to the ARRN pack for use in search and rescue where I need to keep my pack on and have frequent access to search and rescue items. It does help in balancing the load front to back. However, it tends to make me overheat since it covers my chest.

Quite a few rescuers use a tactical vest type setup. Also very easy access and load balancing, but very little ventilation.

Chas Ho

@i_charles

"it tends to make me overheat since it covers my chest."

Was wondering about that.. would it work better in a colder climate then?

"Quite a few rescuers use a tactical vest type setup."

That gives me a name for googling,too.

David Miles
    Spectator

@davidmiles

Locale: Eastern Sierra

I have thought about adding a spacer similar to the ribs found on backpack backs.

David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Locale: mid-west

The RIBZ pack has been brought up before. you could mod it to include a waist pack. I am going to try the ribz pack on my next SAR next weekend. I'll let you know how it goes. Trying it on it seems way big and wierd, but I'll give it a good test before I ebay it.

Let me know what google says.

Dave

Link: http://www.ribzwear.com/product.htm

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools