Topic

quick perusal of list please

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists quick perusal of list please

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

My list is in my profile, I'd appreciate input. South San Juan Mtns. Late June
    Thanks,

Nate Davis
    BPL Member

@knaight

Locale: Western Massachusetts

Think you could probably ditch:

Down Pants
    Extra glove liners
    Rain Mitts
    Down Booties
    Water shoes

That's a decent weight savings, but I'm not sure how cold it gets there, so I would definitely check with someone who's been there this time of year.

Also, why carry your PLB on your person? Seems like it'd be kind of a pain. Obviously, it'll add to your baseweight if you put it in your pack, but it seems like that'd be easier overall.

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

Thanks Nate,
    The PLB is not figured in the wt. it's in the next column, it only goes with me when I solo, same for several other items. Should have explained that. Also, yes I'm looking for advise from others who've been there that time of year. I'm taking a Summerlite bag and I'm very cold natured, hence they down clothes. My other thought was to trade out the Summerlite for my Helium, and leave the down at home, but would only save about 2 oz. and I think there's a little more flexibility with the current setup, not sure though.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Do you eat or hydrate properly before bed to ensure you can generate heat for several hours? I used to sleep really cold until I started focusing on campsite selection (no more near water sites if possible) and proper nutrition before bed and generally sleep much warmer than I used to. May be worth looking into if you aren't doing so.

San Juans in June are going to be pretty much your standard Summer Rockies list. Most will say ditch the down pants unless the forecast predicts extra cold conditions or you really are that cold of sleeper. I'd keep the down jacket. You may want to upgrade your warm headwear. Maybe a balaclava to provide warmth to the neck which may help with cold sleep (like a merino buff).

FAK/repair kit is WAY too heavy. You could easily get by with some pills, needle/thread, tape and krazyglue.

Beyond that, to minimize even more weight you're looking at getting a new pack to save up to two pounds.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I'd expect lows in the 40's. The list looks good. I just signed up this week for trip 5.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools