Topic

Drink mixes for hot weather

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Drink mixes for hot weather

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

While water is great, wondering if there are any powdered drink mixes out there for hot weather for a change in flavor? Plusses if they are sugar-free.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I like the Crystal Light mixes. Lots of flavors, sugar free.

John Devitt
    BPL Member

@cabana

Locale: Colorado

+1 with Gary, however I enjoy the starbucks via carmel coffee during the cool summer mornings in the mountains.
    regards,
    John

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

I like the Propel Fitness Water packets diluted to half strenght. Not sure what's in them though.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

I sometimes make sun tea (using jasmine or fruit teas) or add powdered strawberries made from freeze-dried fruit to lemonade. Most often I just drink water.

I also found a cold brew ice tea product that works well… http://www.wildernesscooking.com/blog/?p=137

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

http://www.kraftbrands.com/crystallight/Pages/default.aspx#/pure-flavors
    Wal-Mart also makes a version of it, nearly identical.

They use natural dayes and are flavored with sugar and Stevia so are light but not artificial tasting.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

I use rehydration mixes, like Electro-mix and Ola Loa Sport. Vitamins, minerals, a little bit of flavor, no sugar.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Nuun tablets are very good!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I don't like to miss any opportunity to get some calories into my system, so I use an energy drink called EFS. It supplies the full spectrum of electrolytes in significant quantities plus a mixture of simple and complex carbs along with a small amount of protein. A few grams of glucose/maltodextrin when I'm exercising hard is not going to make a diabetic out of me is my philosophy

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

NUUN

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

I am a diabetic and I actually need to have the extra glucose when exercising or my blood glucose drops dangerously low. It isn't unusual for me to have to pop quite a few jelly beans while hiking… I'd be interested in the EFS. Going to go look it up.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Usually it is more a 'saving of weight' thing why people go for sugar free. It also doesn't get as funky in bladders as sugar mixes do in heat…..

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Been away from the US for awhile, so I'd forgotten about Propel, CrystalLight, Camelback electrolytes, NUUN, etc… and I'm guessing a number of supermarkets tuck them away so everyone goes for the bottled beverages. Tried doing sun tea in a Nalgene once but the tea bag disintegrated by lunch, so I had to strain the tea leaves.

While not opposed to a little sugar, it can really gum up a hydration bladder, so I eat it it in the form of candy.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Of the expensive variety, like others listed:

NUUUUUUUN

Camelback Elixir tablets can be had for less than Nuun if you look around, good product.

Hammer Nutrition makes a product called Endurolytes Fizz, it's their electrolyte tablet similar to the above products…. excellent supplement. I've used them in the past for 100F runs after work, help ward off cramps, excessive salt loss, all that stuff associated with being active in the desert during April-Oct. Highly recommended.

However, the liquid gold of trail drinks for adding spice to your Aquamira tainted water is Kool-Aid Tropical Punch in the single serve powder packs (makes 2quarts… really sweet… or 1L just right), those are cheap cheap and there is a Sugar-Free version. Just watch your clothing, this stuff stains everything. Those can be acquired anywhere.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

My favorite are the Trace Minerals Research Electrolyte Stamina drink mixes:

stamina

Like Emergen-C, but better ingredientes, imho (+stevia / no maltodextrin)

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I like Tang.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Going to go look it up."

Hi Laurie,

Look for it under a company named First Endurance.

Tom

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Thanks Tom… much appreciated.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Brought a bottle of Tang on a winter trip long time ago (1984 – yikes), packed in an external pack pocket. Forgot to secure it and it went splat all over the ice. So my buddies passed this Tang explosion on ice, all shaking their heads. Haven't bought Tang since.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Eugene,

Camelbak Elixir was what I was looking for. Sugar-free, has a kind of fizz to it, … that's what I used to mtb with. Water in one hydration bladder, Elixir in the other. Thanks for jogging the memory banks, though some of these other brands will see use as well.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I drink a lot while hiking normally, and even more in hot weather. Two weekends ago while hiking a chunk of the Mid State Trail in PA I was drinking around eight liters a day.

I really like the Camelbak Elixir in my hydration bladder but beware: The orange elixir has caffeine in it! That may be good for those of you who want a little extra kick. I've tried the berry flavored as well, but my favorite (and the only one left in my inventory) is the lemon-lime.

Marc Kokosky
    BPL Member

@mak52580

Locale: Washington, DC Area

I can't believe no one has mentioned Hawaiian Punch! I get the one serving packs at my local Walmart… 10 for $1 and sugar free. They are awesome and definitely take me back to childhood.

I also like the Nuun if I want an eletrolyte replacement.

For iced coffee… Starbucks makes an instant iced coffee pack that is already pre-sweetened that is pretty good too.

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

Arnold Palmer (ice tea + lemonade)
    Ocean Spray powdered drinks
    Tang

I prefer plain old water when I'm actually hiking. The flavored stuff doesn't do much for quenching thirst for me. I like a little Tang or OS juice for breakfast and an Arnold when I get to camp.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

I'm with you, the green Elixir is just about right. I also like emergencyC. Can't adequately describe how disappointed I was when I tried NUUN. Nasty stuff. YMMV.

p.s. I only mix this sort of thing in bottles–too hard to get completely out of reservoirs and hoses.

Cheers,

Rick

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

@Rick,

IIRC the Elixir is designed to come out of hydration bladders relatively easily since there's no sugar.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools