Topic

Totally Un-UL, Un Hi-tech list:

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Totally Un-UL, Un Hi-tech list:

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Bob- tree would be at your back (leaning against it)- like I said, probably not the most comfy way to spend the night :)"

The tree does not show up in the diagram. Is the tree within the tarp or outside of the tarp? If you are leaning against the tree, it is within the tarp.

–B.G.–

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

tarp/blanket/long coat/whatever your using would be against (not around) the tree- your basically sitting on your butt creating a "mini teepee" :)

I purchased one of the hooded sportsman blankets and a 72 hour beeswax candle (would be carrying a sit pad too) to throw in my hunting pack- I think it would an effective technique when the weather is cold and you don't have a lot of time to mess w/ a shelter, I plan to test that theory

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Does anyone recall the PBS series on camping? IIRC the documentary claimed one reason Henry Ford mass produced the auto in the 1920s was to get everybody out to enjoy Nature (or marketed it that way for the cynics). Many Model T's were outfitted with kitchens, bunks, and desks but more for carcamping/basecamping. During this time period, the choices for lugging around all this heavy fabric were rucksacks or Trapper John wood frame packs. Again iirc, only after WWII and the Korean War when Dick Kelty came out with the external frame did backpacking really start becoming established. Think during the Great Depression, the carcamping gear turned out to be emergency survival gear for some and during WWII/Korea, everyone was busy doing something else

Maybe looking at hunters of that time period would provide lighter, more mobile gear and clothing. Otherwise, maybe look at John Muir and early outings of the original Sierra Club to get some ideas of clothing and gear.

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Locale: Ruta Locura

My eighty something year old grandfather recalls doing overnight "backpacking" trips in the '30s with just a fishing pole and a wool blanket.

james w glenn
    Spectator

@bark-eater

First ya got to catch a bear…….

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

I've recently stumbled on an old European rucksack that I purchased many years ago. It is made from canvas, steel, brass and leather. There is some oxidation due to exposure and the leather needs oil but it is overall in good shape and is about 2000cc, including pockets. I would rather someone get some good use out of it than send it to Goodwill and have it languish until it ends up in a landfill. I would be willing to send it for your experiments at no charge for the pack or shipping. Please send a PM if interested.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

I'm not sure why you say this:

"oil cloth (which is difficult to come by unless I make it)"

I think there are several manufacturers making oilcloth outer garments. Usually they are "western" style outfitters, such as Filson. http://www.filson.com/mens/coats-jackets/-1011/ I own a Filson oilcloth jacket, and I love it. They tend to be expensive as hell, though. Stetson makes such clothes, too, don't they? Look in western supply stores for drover's coats- I think you can easily find an oilcloth one. (I have one of those, too.) Here's one I found: http://www.westernsaddle.com/oilskindrover.html

If you're really going for atmosphere I don't think it gets any better than a cowboy's slicker…

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Pack
    Look at European military surplus, especially Swedish.

Shelter
    This site has some ideas/products:
    http://nwwoodsman.com/index.html

Sleeping
    Italian military wool blanket, 5 lbs! I have one. 100% wool (ok, supposedly), so great for around a fire. These have a strong mothball smell and need to be aired out for days outside.

http://www.youtube.com/user/nwwoodsman#p/u/1/Gx38go8-Ig8

Water treatment: Don't treat, or boil

Fire: Matches for backup, firesteel for regular use, bowdrill for fun and practice and maybe sometimes actually starting a fire :)

John L Collins
    BPL Member

@wvcubdad

Locale: Not too far off the Tuscarora Trail

Some of the earlier versions of the Boy Scout Handbooks have suggestions for making gear, everything from toilet kit rolls to packs, buckets and food bags. The soldiers that fought in WWII were Scouts in the 30's. You can find these on eBay for decent prices. Also the corresponding Patrol Leader's Handbooks have additional instructions.

Jeffrey Kuchera
    BPL Member

@frankenfeet

Locale: Great Lakes

This book has been mentioned in this thread already. I think it contains an abundance of information that will help you meet your goal.

Ted E
    BPL Member

@mtn_nut

Locale: Morrison, CO

Neptune mountaineering has a mountaineering museum and it covers a wide range of "gear evolution"

http://www.neptunemountaineering.com/neptune/dept.asp?s_id=0&dept_id=500

it might be helpful to contact them with specific questions.

Rob Vandiver

@shortbus

Locale: So Cal

Hey Craig,
    Ran across this a while ago, and thought it was fascinating. It's a 1907 catalog for Abercrombie and Fitch. Apparantly they did,t always sell clothing for preppy hipsters.

http://books.google.com/books?id=LeM-AAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

I was impressed by the gear, honestly. Things like alky stoves, bivys, aluminum cookware. This, I think, would have been extreme high end, looking at the prices, but it is worth a glance.

I also liked all the instructional tidbits. In the cooking section it suggested covering a bird or fish in a couple of inches of natural clay and thowing it on the fire for an hour until the clay was fully cured, breaking it open, and chowing it down. This should appeal to you on all sorts of levels. You could even try to do it with just your feet.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

Funny stuff Rob!

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools