Topic

First lightweightish hike! Help!!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists First lightweightish hike! Help!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Matti West

@onslow

Hi all, just seeking some feedback from those in the know. I am about to undertake a simple weekend hike in Victoria Australia in the next few weeks and am going to try some of the lightweight gear out!

Tent – Contrail 700g
    Bag – Vango Venom 150 7c degree bag 575g
    Pack – Osprey 1645g [pretty heavy looking @ smaller light bag]
    Stove – Kovea Titanium 85g + gas
    Mat – 540g Kathmandu
    Cooking pot – need to get one not sure on weight etc
    1st aid kit – 300g can't skimp here as I am taking a couple of scouts with me my son and his mate will have similar stuff but they will share a tent [800g each], Osprey ACE48 packs and Nik has a super light sleeping mat [foam!]
    Torch – 120g
    Bowl & Spork – ??

2 litres of water [clean water is no problem at the camp site]
    Salami & cheese for lunches
    Porridge for breaky
    Bars for snacks and maybe some scroggin [trail mix]
    Not sure on dinner yet
    Black coffee

Worn
    Pants Craghoppers
    Sports polo shirt
    Macpac merino long shirt
    Explorer socks
    Merino beanie hat
    Hitech boots [would normally wear ASICs but lots of mud!]

Carried
    Poly long johns 120g
    Columbia rain/wind coat 800g
    Require a warm jacket, like the look of a down one at around 500g.

It will be around 12c during the day and 1-2c at night. This might force me to take a heavier bag or get a thermal liner. Any one use these?

ANyway any feedback would be good,

Josh Newkirk
    BPL Member

@newkirk

Locale: Washington/Alaska

Seems like the main things that could be lightened up are:

-the pack as you mentioned
    -the sleeping pad
    -the columbia jacket

Matti West

@onslow

Thanks Josh, yep spot on with the pack. The jacket is a tough one, I would like an event jacket at around 300g but they retail for $400 here! Maybe I could look at a light poncho?

The sleeping mat, I am looking at a Neoair a some stage.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

If you aren't bushwhacking and sticking to the trails, a froggtoggs or driducks weighs around 6oz/170g (you'd think you Aussies would use "OZ" weights…) and only $25 in the US (so probably still dirt cheap for you). Not durable, but very breathable and waterproof.

Matti West

@onslow

Perfect, now to see if I can get some froggtoggs downunder.
    Damn found some in Aus $129! but can get them via ebay for about $70 delivered from USA

Nate Davis
    BPL Member

@knaight

Locale: Western Massachusetts

Bag – A little heavy, but not a top priority.

Pack – Obviously, change this.

Stove – Consider making an alcohol stove for other trips, but having a gas stove for boy scouts is probably not a bad idea. You'll get the water boiled faster this way.

Mat – That's a heavy sleeping pad! All sorts of options here, from the expensive but comfortable Neoair, to a RidgeRest, to a GG Nightlight. Most find the RidgeRest comfortable, and it's cheap. Many of us use a short-sized sleeping pad and use our packs for under our feet. It works better than you might think, and it saves a good deal of weight.

Pot – You can make do just find with aluminum, but if you haven't bought one yet, consider splurging for titanium. Get a size that'll be a good happy medium between cooking for you and others, as well as cooking for yourself on solo trips. One of the larger Snowpeak mugs would work pretty well and weigh very little.

First Aid Kit – I realize you need to bring a bit more since you're responsible for boys who are more than likely going to need a bandaid or two. Still, you can cut this way down. Perhaps list out the contents and we'll help you sort through them? For instance, how many bandages do you really need for a weekend hike? I bet you can cut this down in half and still feel plenty secure with what you've got. Most of us carry kits that weigh under 3 oz (~90g).

Torch – Super heavy! Bring a BIC lighter for a quarter of the weight.

Feel free to list out the rest of your gear, and we'll help you look at those items as well.

Drop Bear
    BPL Member

@dropbear

These guys do free shipping to OZ and with our favourable exchange rate have the 193g OR Helium Jacket for AU$175.92 and the 369g Marmot PreCip Jacket on sale at AU$129.83.
    I recently got a Exped SynMat 7 UL from them.

David Long

@davlong

Matti, are you planning to using the venom 150 during victorian winter? I would not recommend that, 7 degrees is the limit temp don't be fooled by retailers listing the extreme temp as the temp rating that is the temp that comes with risk of hypothermia! I would be looking at the 300 at least if not the viper 500,

Matti West

@onslow

Sleeping bag is a tough one, has anyone had any experience in thermal liners like this one?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sea-2-Summit-Thermo-Reactor-EXTREME-Sleeping-Bag-Liner-/220782513920?pt=AU_Sleeping_Gear

The other idea is to bite the bullet and get a new bag, but cost is a big factor!

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Locale: Stamford, CT

Would you consider going to a tea light alcohol stove and freezer bag cooking?

The stove would be lighter than your current stove

You would save more weight by not needing a pot and anything to clean the pot by eating out of freezer bag.

Heiny stove would be cheaper to make/purchase than titanium pot as well.

Freezer bag cooking is very easy too…just boil water, let it absorb, and eat!

Enjoy your hike!

Matti West

@onslow

Thanks for all your input, looks like I will start with the above list and just wear clothes and down jacket to bed to keep warm.

I have a standing camp in a few weeks and will test out various sleeping methods, mats etc.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools