Topic

Alaska Partner Needed

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Alaska Partner Needed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jay Beaudoin

@lifeisgood

Hi All,
    I will be landing in Anchorage this Saturday to visit family and hike for 2 weeks before I try to climb Denali. I know it is short notice but I would love to find someone to hike with while I am there to help ward off bears,and generally have a good time. ;) Honestly, I do more mountaineering than hiking, but I enjoy it all. I could do day hikes or overnights, and can provide transportation. If anyone is interested, please let me know. Possible dates: June 12-24. Thanks! Jay

Josh Newkirk
    BPL Member

@newkirk

Locale: Washington/Alaska

Bummer, I will be flying through anchorage next week but wont be there long enough for a hike.

Good luck on Denali.

Buck Nelson
    BPL Member

@colter

Locale: Alaska

For what it's worth, at least 7 climbers have died in Denali this year so far. Most years no one is killed by a bear anywhere in the state. If there are a million people that visit bear country in Alaska in a year and one is killed, and 1,500 permits for Denali and on a typical year maybe 3 are killed, the odds of dying on Denali are 1 out of 500, and the odds of being killed by a bear 1 out of 1,000,000, making Denali 2,000 times as dangerous than bears.

I believe the risks of Denali tend to be under rated, and that of bears highly over rated.

Good luck with both parts of your adventure. Reasonable chances are worth taking.

Jay Beaudoin

@lifeisgood

Josh: Sorry I will miss you. Have a safe trip whereever you are going!

Buck: I was just kidding about warding off bears, but thanks for the info! :)

Thanks to both of you for the well-wishes on Denali. I'm sure it will be memorable no matter what happens.

Jay

Dan Quixote
    BPL Member

@dan_quixote

Locale: below the mountains (AK)

I'm planning an overnight hike sunday/monday. my plan is to circle wolverine peak from stuckagain heights. I think the mileage should be in the teens, but I'm not completely sure. this is a basic map of what I want to do: Circling Wolverine. If I'm too fast or get bored, I'll add some detours.

Anyway, if you're interested, send me a PM. =)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools