Topic

UL adventure / race pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) UL adventure / race pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

I'm looking for some input on a good UL adventure / race pack.

On July 27th I'll be doing a charity hike; 33 miles in under 15 hours; on the Superior Hiking Trail. I'll only be day hiking so no stove, shelter, or sleeping gear required.

I'll be carrying just the essentials: first aid, water treatment, food, rain jacket, platy hydration bladder, headlamp, and the typical UL 10 essentials kit.

Anyone have some recommendations for a pack that will fit a big guy with broad shoulders and a thick chest?

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I think with what you are carrying, you're not really going to notice the weight difference among any pack under 16 oz, but rather the shape & fit of the pack. I'd look for a simple clean design with a webbing belt and decide whether you need any specific features, primarily something made for a hydration system like a Camelback.

I really like my stripped down Black Diamond RPM, which they don't seem to make any more but maybe you could find it online. It's a great top-loading design.

Dave Chenault mentioned a Lowe Alpine pack on his site, Bedrock and Paradox, not too long ago that looked nice too.

will sawyer

@wjsawyer

Locale: Connecticut

I would check out Inov-8's offerings. I have their race elite 25 pack and love it. Designed for running, pretty light, but good support. Well made, lots of thought in the design.

http://www.inov-8.com/Products.asp?PG=PG2&L=27

-Will

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Chad, I have an ultimate direction wasp pack that will hold everything you need for your charity hike, if you're interested in using it I'll send it to you if you'll just cover the return shipping. I also reviewed a Traillite Designs Singletrack pack for Thom Darrah not too long ago, its a fast and light multisport pack that would be ideal for your hike as well in terms of size and features, the review is posted somewhere on BPL. let me know if you're interested, if not, no worries.

Jebediah Stevens

@jebstevens84

Locale: New England

MLD Newt? It's probably got more than enough volume, especially since you're not taking a sleeping bag, but if you keep the shock cord on it you will be able to compress it nice and tight (plus the rolltop adds some vertical compression). Mine is my go-to pack for anything I do that's less than 2-3 days on trail-nice and simple and gets it done. The shoulder straps are awesome and will probably work well for your frame.

Edit: Never mind, I guess the Newt isn't available at this time.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Chad, finding a pack in this category that will fit a big guy won't be simple. Most come in one size, and I've found many of them (including the aforementioned Lowe pack, the Lightflite 25) a bit small on me, and I'm 5'11" with a 38" chest.

I'd look at the Osprey offerings, which do come in two size, and the Innov8 Race Pro line. I'm using a Race Pro 12 at the moment and it'd be great for your intended use.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools