Topic

Summer Quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Summer Quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    John Gelack

@jgelack

Locale: North East

I'm intrested in purchasing a summer quilt and can use some advice. I've pretty much decided to order a Summer Burrow from HammockGear. However, they are now offering this quilt in two versions and I'm not sure which one to order. One version ,is made with 1" baffles, has 2" loft, 8 oz. down fill, 35-40 degree temp rating and is 15.5 oz. The second version is made with a sewn-thru construction, has 1.5" loft, 6oz. down fill, 45-50 degree temp rating and is 13.2 oz. I am leaning towards the second version. I do most of my hiking in the North East between PA and ME. I do have a 20 degree quilt for the shoulder seasons. Which option do you think would be better for a summer quilt? Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks John

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I was looking for a summer quilt a few months back and was given great advice on BPL. I ended up with the Nunatak Arc Edge and have been blown away by it so far, even used slightly beyond it's normal 40 degree rating. It's 11 oz., perfectly made, and with a great system of straps. It's true to size and rating.

David Passey

@davidpassey

Locale: New York City

I'd go with the lighter quilt. I have the Arc AT, and I find it perfectly comfortable for summer hiking in the Adirondacks (for reference, paired with a Montbell Alpine Lite jacket).

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

Not sure if there is a price difference but I would go with the first one. That additional 10 degrees will likely extend that bag firmly into three season ability assuming you wear some insulation when you sleep. Just seems to me that 45-50 degrees is too marginal for anything but summer use. Why spend that kind of money on something with such limited use? To me the 2.3 ozs would be worth the additional 10 degrees of rating.

Josh Newkirk
    BPL Member

@newkirk

Locale: Washington/Alaska

I just got the 35-40 last week.

A pretty sweet quilt and awesome customer service.

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Locale: Stamford, CT

I went with a Sierra Stealth from JacksRBetter:

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Wearable%20Quilts.htm#SierraStealth

I opted for the 900FP down plus sewn in footbox options for actual weight of 14.67 oz on a conservative 40F quilt (they quote 14.65, kudos to JRB for not lying). This is also their wide model as I toss and turn at night a lot. Something to consider, as it was worth the extra weight for me to stay asleep while tossing and turning at night w/ no drafts.

It is heavier than your options (prob cheap though? Didn't check), but…where I save weight is that this JRB quilt is a multi-use piece of gear. I got to drop an 11oz down sweater as my insulation layer (I never hike in down, I'd only use a down sweater or wear the quilt around camp or at breaks). The quilt has a slit in the middle of it with omni-tape so I can wear it. The quilt is ~much~ warmer than the down sweater I have and has more coverage too now that I've purchased the JRB down sleeves:

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Sleeves.htm

The can be worn to supplement the quilt when worn as an insulating layer and I use them on my feet (I get cold feet) and I don't have to carry thick socks now.

I guess I tried to look at the overall weight of my system, not just my bag. Whichever you choose enjoy the quilt!

Vince Contreras
    BPL Member

@pillowthread

Locale: like, in my head???

Go with the baffled option, methinks.

Edited: to be more on-topic.

Nathan Stuart

@forest-2

Locale: Hunter Valley - Australia

I've had a summer TQ without baffles but now I have a summer HG burrow with baffles.

My prefference is for the baffled quilt and it's a very warm TQ.

For me the extra weight for the baffled quilt is worth it, I also have a 3 Season burrow with 2 oz overfill and 6" wide and it's anice TQ.

Are you buying to ground camp with or use in a hammock.

If your chasing a TQ that will work well on the ground a little extra width is nice over the standard one.

FYI, I took my unbaffled summer TQ with only 5oz of 800 fill down to 3°C but I was starting to get very cold and needed some additional clothing.
    My summer burrow (baffled)will get to that limit without extra clothes, but that's just me.

John Gelack

@jgelack

Locale: North East

I just placed my order for a Summer Burrow quilt from Hammock Gear. After reading your comments, I changed my mind and decided to order the baffled quilt, instead of the sewn-thru model. I'd rather carry the extra 2.3 ounces and have my quilt rated 10 degrees lower. Thanks again for steering me in the right direction. John

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools