Topic

What is a whoopie sling?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What is a whoopie sling?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ken K

@thefatboy

Locale: St. Louis

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is a whoopie sling? It sounds like it would involve a willing partner and a safe word.

I've seen them referred to in a number of posts on this forum. Is it just a hammock? Hammock for two? Hanging chair?

Jolly Green Giant
    BPL Member

@regultr

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com

It's a lightweight form of suspension related to hammock webbing (from tree to hammock end) which has to do with passing a piece of cord through itself and ultimately enabling some easy adjustments.

http://whoopieslings.com/

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"which has to do with passing a piece of cord through another"

I thought it was passing a piece of cord through itself to make an adjustable hanging mechanism.

Ken K

@thefatboy

Locale: St. Louis

Hammock hanging apparatus. Thanks guys. There's no way I was Googling that from the office!

Paul Gibson

@pgibson

Locale: SW Idaho

Doug is correct, A whoopie sling is formed with a single piece of hollow core braided rope–usually Amsteel or Dynaglide– to form an adjustable loop. The Hollow core rope acts as a constrictor on the piece fed through itself much like a Chinese finger trap. 6-12 inches of line pass back through it self doubled over forming a loop of varying size depending on how long of piece is used. The section that is buried can be pulled shorter or longer to adjust the size of loop on the end.

Hammock guys have only in the past 2 years cannibalized the whoopie sling from the aurborist industry, where they have been used for years to form adjustable attachment points high in trees.

Tough Jolly Green is not to far off as a similar piece of rope work is the UCR (Utility Constrictor Rope) that is made from 2 pieces of line and adjusts in a similar manor.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

>It sounds like it would involve a willing partner and a safe word.

THAT is what I will always think of now when I hear whoopie sling.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

Link to video tutorial here:

YouTube video

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools