Topic

SMD Lunar Solo

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) SMD Lunar Solo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Brinkman

@amuroray

Locale: Southern California

I am 6'2 and I was wondering if I would have a hard time fitting into the SMD lunar solo. I an using a long WM Summerlite and a z-rest full length as a mat. If anyone that has one of these could share some of their experience it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Douglas Wolf
    BPL Member

@munnin

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I use a Lunar Solo and I am 6'. I use a WM Summerlite regular length on a NeoAir regular length (72") and with the foot of the bag up against the mesh I still have close to 12" at the head. Sitting up I do tend to hit my head on the sil, so I keep a pack towel handy for wiping any condensation from the inside before I get up. I think you'd be fine in one.

Robert Carver
    BPL Member

@rcarver

Locale: Southeast TN

I had the Lunar Solo and just didn't like the slope angle of the roof. I used it three nights and sold it. I am 5'10" and had plenty of room while laying down, remaining still. Moving around or sitting up didn't work for me so well. For the same weight, I would go with the TT Contrail over the Lunar Solo.

Of course that is just my experience.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I'm only 5' 3.5" and I had a lot of trouble trying to sit up in the Lunar Solo without brushing my head against the tent. I also found it rather claustrophobic to have the roof so close to my face, even with the tent door wide open. After that experience I decided I definitely prefer a tent with the door–and highest point–at the head end.

I also had more condensation problems with the Lunar Solo than I've had with my other tents (Tarptent Squall 2, Gossamer Gear/Tarptent Squall Classic). The wide skirts/eaves of the LS are great for keeping out rain splash, but they seemed to funnel moisture from the damp ground into my tent. I noticed condensation on the underside of the eaves early in the evening. I also have noticed that the farther away the tent roof is from my face, the less the overhead condensation from my breath.

Your mileage, of course, may vary! The person who bought the Lunar Solo from me loves it!

Bruce Warner
    BPL Member

@magicrabbit

Locale: Midwest

I think there are probably better shelter options than a Lunar Solo for someone of your length. Would you fit in a LS? Yes. Would you be confortable in one? That might be a different story. My opinion is, head room while sitting or lying down in a LS becomes a much bigger issue for taller people. I am 5'9 and and fit nicely in my LS and really like it. However, I have thought to myself if I was much taller, I too might have gone in a different direction.

Andrew Brinkman

@amuroray

Locale: Southern California

Since I am 6'2 and most of you say that the SMD Lunar Solo won't be big enough are there any Tarp Tents out there that will be? Thanks.

Bruce Warner
    BPL Member

@magicrabbit

Locale: Midwest

Tarptent Rainbow is one that comes to mind. Seems like a very good design for taller people.

smitty smith
    BPL Member

@iceaxed

the ls has been redesigned this year. also lightheart designs has the roomiest solo
    tent i have seen – the solong-6 in silny or cuben fiber.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Up late tonight tending to a toe contusion incurred while testing Luna Sandals on a night hike in the Bridgers. Ah well. This thread caught my eye.

What about something like an MLD Speedmid? If you need the floor and bug protection, you could get the inner.

The weight penalty is only modest over an LS, but the increase in livability and weather protection would be dramatic. I have a Speedmid and have weathered horrific storms in it. It's my go-to for alpine weather, and gives me lots of room for cooking, sorting gear, mapping, and the like, with a lot less condensation than the teeny LS.

I have used a LS a lot as well and am not a fan. It's very flappy in only light winds. MLD shelters seem to be cut and sewn with more precision.

And you can't go wrong with a mid. They're versatile!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am 6' and the Rainbow is very roomy.

Ron Moak

@rmoak

Let me say that the people complaining about the Lunar Solo haven't used or seen the new 2012 model of the tent. So that fact should be factored in evaluating their comments.

The 2012 model of the Lunar Solo has a 90" floor with 12" vertical end walls. It's canopy has been raised by 4" and the pole is offset toward the center of the tent. This combination effectively raises the canopy 8" over where you head is when you sit up. The bathtub floor has been raised from 3" to 6". In addition the angle of the back wall is significantly more vertical.

With all the changes, the tent is considerably more roomy inside, especially for taller people; more storm proof and is easier to setup correctly. Best yet is that even with all the changes the tent is still only 23 ounces.

Ron

David Ure

@familyguy

Sounds like the Lunar Solo would be the ticket for taller folk. The Rainbow is also very usable long. I suspect that the TT Stratospire would also work well.

Regarding Mid's, the DuoMid would be just sufficient for someone 6'1" (my experience) and although an amazing shelter, I am not sure that it would be my first choice if I were much over that height. The end walls will sag a bit in rainy weather. Isn't the SpeedMid the same length?

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Thanks for the update Ron. I like that there seems to be more interior volume. That should help condensation, for us short or y'all tall guys.

I assume the increase in storm resistance assumption is because of steeper walls? Are there any other factors? Will the new one be able to be pitched "drum tight" for good wind shedding?

Design concept of the LS is great. I'm excited to see the 2012 execution. A storm worthy LS would be a step forward, for sure, but the massive fabric area behind the apex, and inability to distribute strong tension evenly across the panels was a limiting factor in older versions.

I think you're right on the Speedmid dimensions. But I loaned mine to a 6'5" 230 lb'er and he did well in it with only incidental bumping of the foot of his sleeping bag (without the inner). It's cavernous for me. It's the tent I take when sharing with my son and/or dog. For solo I stick with the smaller Locus Khufu.

Ron Moak

@rmoak

With the new Lunar Solo model we went with a single panel of fabric on the canopy. The cut of the panel is engineered to take advantage of the natural stretch in Silnylon. The center pole is angled 8" into the center of the tent and max floor width has been reduce from 54" to 48". These changes significantly reduce the the amount of canopy material and allows the tent to be setup much tighter.

The canopy sets up higher off the ground which enhances ventilation and allows the tent more flexibility in site selection. To minimize any increase in drafts due to the raised canopy, we raised the height of the bathtub floor. The top of the bathtub is the same height as the bottom of the canopy.

The changes have significantly breathed new life into this tent and is reflected recent explosion in sales.

Ron

c vp

@bearspray

Hey bro, I thought I would share some person info. I just used my solong 6 for the first time last weekend in Yosemite. I'm 6'2" 220lbs and this tent has tons o' room. I sleep on a large/wide exped ul7 and it's not even close to touching the ends. First set up was at dusk and to be honest I was a little worried that I hadn't tested it before hand, but it was a piece of cake. This was my first foray into the cottage tent industry, and from what I've seen they are all really nice, but I will highly recommend this tent, so far. Good luck on what ever you choose and enjoy the weight savings

two pints
    Spectator

@madgoat

Locale: Ohio

I just took delivery of a 2012 Lunar Solo. I set it up for the first time last night so I thought I would share some of the details.

I didn't get it right on my first pitch. The floating canopy has a trick to it, but once I learned its secrets, my second pitch was a winner.

Ron's setup instructions are correct, but the hang tag lacks one detail that is key to setting it up right. First, the Lunar Solo uses thin webbing for its guylines at 5 of its corners with small shoulder strap style slide buckles for length adjustment. The sixth corner is a cord line that comes down from the top of the pole and its length can be adjusted with a slide buckle that can be reached from under the canopy.

To get the setup right, you need to adjust the webbing lengths to close to their maximum. The lengths of these webbing stake out points will determine how close to the ground the canopy is. In really bad weather, I guess you could adjust them much shorter so the canopy is closer to the ground. If you adjust them to their longest lengths, the canopy will be about 6-8 inches off the ground so that your bathtub floor is fully formed inside the tent.

I am 6'1" tall, weigh in at a healthy 250lbs, I have monster 14 4E feet, I sleep on an Exped LW synmat (2.8" x 78" x 26") and I predominately sleep on my side. All that said, I think the inside of the tent will be big enough for me. It feels a little tight, but I had plenty of room over my head and at my feet so that I don't think I will be brushing up against the canopy all that much.

That said, it was just too hot yesterday to spend much time in the tent before I retreated indoors. Unfortunately, I doubt I have much chance to use this tent until fall, but if anybody has any questions that I could help with, let me know. I am probably going to set it up again tonight to play around with it a little more.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools